Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im A Complete Newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Im A Complete Newbie!

I have a lot of questions when it comes down to my car.
for example, I was looking at some vids on youtube. I want to make my car sound loud for a stock a motor, till I get some money for performance parts. Open headers seem to have caught my attention.
where or what do I do. any pics?
is this bad for the motor.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can either get a x pipe and run bullet mufflers or get a loudmouth catback exhaust.

Don't run open headers
Old 05-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Teching In

To do what you wanna do is pretty easy, I would first figure out how much you wanna spend, a cat back can range anywhere from about 430 too 1,300 depending on what you want, since you have a Z and if you want loud, REAL loud? go with and SLP Loudmouth, slponline.com will hook you up, the more expensive ones tend to be Corsa's and Borla's but they are very nice, my friend got a hell of a deal on a lightly used Corsa Cat-back for about 700 and I just checked MSRP, they are at least 1,100 brand new, long story short I would go SLP for noise (loud and when paired with LT's a y-pipe and hi flow cats down right annoying) but if you are trying to stay out of the cops radar, check out, Magnaflow, Borla or if you get lucky a used corsa, that'll get you started, once you get the money as far as your open headers question you can look into "cut-outs" which can be welded up on the collector tubes right before the cats and can either be electrically operated or manually opened depending on what you wanna spend, that way you can choose how loud you really wanna be. That was a lot I know but it should get you started, anything else either PM me or whoever and I'm sure wa can help ya out.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

+1 on the cutouts...

And the SLP LMI/II. I got the LMII off of Ebay new, on the cheap. Actually came with the SLP paperwork, and the "SLP" packing tape...must have been drop shipped. I can't remember exactly, but I think I saved 50 or 60 bucks over what SLP sells them for.

The resonator will make it a bit louder than the race muffler. You can switch it out to a bullet muffler if you upgrade to longtubes and the drone is too much.

I won't though...I like loud.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Check out the ws6store.com They are a sponsor on this site and they have the best prices of anybody on the web. Also check out the parts classifieds on this site there are always good deals on headers cat-backs and such. If you need any more help just ask, this site is where i get all my info and almost all the parts on my car i have bought through this forum.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LCplmarine98
Check out the ws6store.com They are a sponsor on this site and they have the best prices of anybody on the web. Also check out the parts classifieds on this site there are always good deals on headers cat-backs and such. If you need any more help just ask, this site is where i get all my info and almost all the parts on my car i have bought through this forum.
2X for Ws6store, great customer service too
Old 05-29-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02SLPfirehawk
To do what you wanna do is pretty easy, I would first figure out how much you wanna spend, a cat back can range anywhere from about 430 too 1,300 depending on what you want, since you have a Z and if you want loud, REAL loud? go with and SLP Loudmouth, slponline.com will hook you up, the more expensive ones tend to be Corsa's and Borla's but they are very nice, my friend got a hell of a deal on a lightly used Corsa Cat-back for about 700 and I just checked MSRP, they are at least 1,100 brand new, long story short I would go SLP for noise (loud and when paired with LT's a y-pipe and hi flow cats down right annoying) but if you are trying to stay out of the cops radar, check out, Magnaflow, Borla or if you get lucky a used corsa, that'll get you started, once you get the money as far as your open headers question you can look into "cut-outs" which can be welded up on the collector tubes right before the cats and can either be electrically operated or manually opened depending on what you wanna spend, that way you can choose how loud you really wanna be. That was a lot I know but it should get you started, anything else either PM me or whoever and I'm sure wa can help ya out.
Ok I have LT headers ORY and SLP cat back and I am not in cops radar. I also have no front license plate and my tint is to dark. Now knock on wood I have never gotten pulled over and I have gone past many cops. Its how you present the car. Mine I try to keep clean and nice. I usually just idle past and don't floor it. Whenever you see one just drive 5 below the speed limit and just act like your out for a cruise. You'll be fine and mine is loud. And I like it!!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 PM
JJT
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LCplmarine98
As you were....Summit will match any price and ship faster then WS6. WS6 is good too...they have a lot more stuff, but I don't think you can beat summit for performance parts specifically internal. exp. headers, heads, exhaust. WS6 is good for exterior body and interior dressing stuff.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JJT
As you were....Summit will match any price and ship faster then WS6. WS6 is good too...they have a lot more stuff, but I don't think you can beat summit for performance parts specifically internal. exp. headers, heads, exhaust. WS6 is good for exterior body and interior dressing stuff.
Agreed. +1 for summit!!
Old 05-30-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a fan of Summit. Had a couple of issues getting my parts on time. So I use other companies that actually ship it the way I want it shipped and on time.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
I have a lot of questions when it comes down to my car.
for example, I was looking at some vids on youtube. I want to make my car sound loud for a stock a motor, till I get some money for performance parts. Open headers seem to have caught my attention.
where or what do I do. any pics?
is this bad for the motor.
cutout. 50 bux and you'll have the neighbors ringin the cops.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cutouts, LT's, ORY, Straight pipes, no resonator and a big honkin' cam!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 02:53 AM
TECH Regular

I'm thinking about doing the same thing, either by an SLP LM1 or an electric cutout.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

electric cutout or true duals!!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Long tubes ory and dual cut outs on the collectors with a stock catback to save some cash. I have the dual cutouts and they are ridiculous.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you do get a cutout defanately should get an electronic one...it will make life soo much easier....and lt's are a must...whether they go true dual or ory....
Old 06-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by daryn c
electric cutout or true duals!!!!
electric cutout and true duals!!!!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:40 PM
JJT
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Not a fan of Summit. Had a couple of issues getting my parts on time. So I use other companies that actually ship it the way I want it shipped and on time.
Yea...see your point...I had some parts they kept telling me that are on backorder...but everytime I called the company (of the part) they were right. like American Racing they were right...I even tried to order from another company like pace1 and they said the same thing (part on backorder) like my Edlebrock shocks... on backorder. Point to consider...if Summit will state (on their website) that they will ship today...then its legit. But...if it has another date call the actual company of your part to see if they are backed up. No matter what, Summit has the best shipping and return service though. PLUS...they match the price!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

I'd go with a SLP Loadmouth 1 catback. No doubt in my mind you'll love it and it does sound good and loud. It was the first exhuast I had on my car when it was bone *** stock and me and my friends loved it. In fact I sold it to a friend with an fbody when I went long tubes and true duals. If that doesn't sound good then how about $250 or $275 used in the forsale forum. They are stainless steel so what does it matter if its used or new execpt two hundred extra dollars.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

true duals and a cutout you'll raise hell. I have a cutout on the stock exhaust down to the stock manifolds to the stock muffler and trust me its WAY too quiet.