Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild or not?

I am an LS1 newbie but not to vehicle/engines in general. I picked up an LSI and tranny from a 98 Comaro to install in a Jeep project. The engine has 93,000 miles on it and ran fine when removed. I was out cleaning it the other day and noticed that there was what looked like oil residue all over the intake. It had been there a while as it looked baked on.

I have not seen this before so was a little confused as to what would cause that. I had been planning on installing the engine as is and putting the money into completing the project and then in a year or too rebuilding but now I am wondering if I should tear it apart now to see if it needs it.

What would be the best approach for this? Today I was thinking maybe just take off the manifold and heads and see what it looks like. I would then be able to also look at the cylinder sleeves as well to see if they look good. Thoughts, opinions?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very common and nothing to be alarmed about, PCV sysstems on these cars suck and pull oil through IM. LS6 PCV upgrade will prolly fix it or if not you may need a catch can but they are usually needed in high HP applications only. Should be able to find all you need by going to external and searching.....
Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil is from the pcv system. you might as well remove the heads and get em checked out before you do the swap. i just fixed a bad head gasket on my 98 and i dont want to go through that again