New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifting.....

Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shifting.....

when i shift i sometimes will skip gears... what is the "best" way to do this... to make it the smoothest... i noticed it helped mpg if just cruising so i have more gas to later stomp on it

another thing... if i race thru 1st, 2nd, 3rd and then coast and want to put it in 6th... whats the best way to do this? (kind of the same question i guess)

just want to hear what you guys think... currently i have my own way and it doesnt seem to hurt anything but we'll see what you say
Old 10-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

you can skip a gear as long as you just release the clutch slowly. dont go shifting gears while racing thats just dumb. ( i know of a kid that did this ).

and if you go through the first 3 gears fast and wanna go to 6th thats fine, again release the clutch slowly. you should be fine.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sometimes? my car never saw 1st unless i was racing. i went 2nd 4th and either 5th or 6th (if i plan on running 70 or 80) i didnt know there was a science to it though lol.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by benji's_z28
dont go shifting gears while racing thats just dumb. ( i know of a kid that did this ).
what do you mean dont go shifting gears while racing you mean like.... 1st *shift at 3k* 2nd *shift at 2k* etc... like shifting early thinking you'll go faster? lolll its funny you say that cuz i had a friend who would do that when he first got his civic si....

anyway no i dont do that. but i guess my question is more centered around how to not harm the syncros? because lets say you race up to around 70 (at the end of 3rd i believe) and want to put it into 6th... you have to wait till the RPMs get down to around 1400 or so and the 6th gear will pop into place correct? and you just keep the clutch in this duration while the RPMS fall... otherwise your banging against the syncro trying to get it to catch when its too high of an RPM for it?

i think this is correct?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

ooh sorry i meant dont go skipping gears while racing, my bad
Old 10-08-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

well its like i tell anyone i know racing. if your afraid to break it then dont race at all. and if your worried about saving the syncros then dont race. just my two pennies.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

lol dude i totally agree if you're going to go racing then you shouldnt be concerned with screwing up your syncros but this is different.... i'm talking about screwing up my 6th gear syncro...... hahahaahha nvm. if you guys dont know i'll post it in a transmission forum or something idk
Old 10-08-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i usually wait until the rpms drop or double clutch the shift
Old 10-09-2009, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

If you're just cruising there's no special way to skip through the gears, just do it. And if you're racing, just put it in neutral when you're done, relax for a second and laugh at the guy behind you, then put it in whatever gear you want to cruise in.

Search this Thread