New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock cats aren't as restrictive as people think. Talk to Pat G about how "restrictive" LS1 cars' exhaust is.

X pipe'd Flowmaster single chambers are sexy
Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
Stock cats aren't as restrictive as people think. Talk to Pat G about how "restrictive" LS1 cars' exhaust is.

X pipe'd Flowmaster single chambers are sexy
I know. they are. thats why I want a setup like this, but before I can do anything I need to know whats legal in cali and whats not.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the TSP Rumbler X true dual setup on my car, it's sadly welded to the stock manifolds. It is also an X-pipe Give it a listen, it'll probably be the closest to what you're looking for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3i4aekSjU8
Old 11-06-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
I have the TSP Rumbler X true dual setup on my car, it's sadly welded to the stock manifolds. It is also an X-pipe Give it a listen, it'll probably be the closest to what you're looking for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3i4aekSjU8
It sounds good, but want something a lil more louder and deeper. but thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
It sounds good, but want something a lil more louder and deeper. but thanks.
I don't think "louder" will happen with you being in Cali though D:
Old 11-06-2009, 01:43 AM
12 Second Club

my old car, xs longtubes, 2.5" h pipe dynomax bullets

Old 11-06-2009, 02:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know. they are. thats why I want a setup like this, but before I can do anything I need to know whats legal in cali and whats not.
anything from the cat-back is legal. you essentially have shorties on your car already. you can run the TD setup with different mufflers like LM1s and throw in an h pipe. that will be your loudest option without running LTs or mids.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
anything from the cat-back is legal. you essentially have shorties on your car already. you can run the TD setup with different mufflers like LM1s and throw in an h pipe. that will be your loudest option without running LTs or mids.
I guess Ill go with that then. If I cant go louder then....
I might as well keep them stock manifolds on, the stock cats,
h pipe and chamber 1.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

thank you all. =[
Old 11-09-2009, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I found this vid of a camaro that was stock. pacesetter LTs, High Flow cats, and chamber 1 flowmaster, running the pipe all the way out back. Instead I want to dumped them at the axle. Its kinda windy, but I like the tone it has. I bet if I were to do an h pipe along with cutouts, I Be happy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QQv09IyMVI
Old 11-09-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know. thats what I mean. if only there was a vid of someone who has a stock motor with pacesetter LTs, x pipe, and those chamber 1 flowmaster.
Well I have a vid of my LTs/ORY Flowmaster stock motor setup. But it was a catback muffler and I dont have an X pipe so I don't know how different it would be. Lemme know if you want me to upload it just for ***** and giggles.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fabian
Well I have a vid of my LTs/ORY Flowmaster stock motor setup. But it was a catback muffler and I dont have an X pipe so I don't know how different it would be. Lemme know if you want me to upload it just for ***** and giggles.
I dont mind man. maybe I might like it, might not.
go for it. I would like to hear.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

You won't sound the same as these other cars without the LT headers. And if you want to stay legal in CA, you won't be using LT headers.

Just don't be disappointed if your car doesn't sound exactly the same as an LT header car with the same catback setup.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:06 AM
Teching In

Hey bro, I'm in the same situation you are. I don't want to settle for anything less than LT's and true duals. I'm not worried about passing visual inspection as I know a shop that will not worry about that. It's the sniffer that I'm worried about. Another issue, is as far as visibility, I believe the pipes have to come all the way out the back. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. Also, the sound can't go over 95 db's. Now if you get pulled over that will be up to the police officers discretion, he's not going to have a db meter, but most cops are lenient to us muscle car owners. Instead of getting pulled over, we get a thumbs up.

Right now the only options that I'm considering are:

a. Put on the exact setup I want, true duals plus long tubes, and take it off when it comes smog time and than put it back on again. lol I don't want to do that.
b. Same setup except have some custom mid removable mids pipes fab'd up so I can put on the most restrictive cats I can find just for smog and than cat deletes for the rest of the time.
c. Stick to just a cat back set up with long tubes and high flow cats. Which I'll drive around feeling and thinking that it's less than I want it to be, all the time....
Old 11-21-2009, 06:09 AM
Launching!

i dont find a point doing a h-pipe or x-pipe set up on stock manifolds and cats. if you dont plan on doing longtubes just get a catback exhaust. dont know how strict cali emissions are, i know they are the strictest in the u.s by far and if they do ''visual'' inspection every single time then yes the lt's wont work. over here in illinois 96 and up just do the obd2 scan and long as they are no engine lights u pass and 95 and pre cars are exempt now. i think u should do a catback and see how u like that. texas speed makes a catback tsp rumbler which i think is the cheapest in price and probably one of the loudest ive heard on stock car. i think its basically set up like a loudmouth exhaust. last i think they were selling for under 300.00..something like 275.00 i believe. its pretty loud with manifolds and cats. heres a link below....

also the guy in the vid stated the car only has a lid, ported maf and a tb..stock manifolds and cats still on the car. its pretty loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJVgR...eature=related
Old 11-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

I will give my 2 cents...even if it is negative..I would stay away from Flowmaster, they rob power, sure they are better than stock but that is as far as it goes.. They are the hyped up brand that Jegs/Summitt push and you see them on the TV shows.. Flowmaster spends huge money on advertising and sponsering for the TV shows.. I had flowmaster 40' on a built 400 for my 79' TA (prior to the 540 thats in it now) and they sounded good BUT when I switched out to Magnaflow, had more low end, you could absolutely feel the difference from the drivers seat...
Well while at the local speed shop (Lynn's Speed and Custom) on my 540 build..They just finished a built 402 sbc... on the dyno it made about 503hp with the huge outdoor muffler stacks made for the dyno.. After all was said and done, we tried several mufflers just for to see.. Using the same headers we used a 2.5 pipe about 10' long exiting out the room.. Tried my flowmasters i had, magnaflow and a new Spintech muffler.. Well the flowmaster lost a little under 20 hp, the magnoflow lost about 8 and the Spintech pulled in the same numbers as the HUGE muffler stacks that were designed just for dyno exhaust to be free flowing and somewhat quite.. SO,
I would stay away from Flowmaster if you are concerned about HP.. I think that most hardcore car guys, engine builders and racers all know about Flowmaster.. However, due to thier advertising, the average Joe has no chance..I now run Spintech on the majority of my cars and a Corsa system on my WS6.. Just FYI, not trying to offend anyone, just stating facts..
Also, while I am still being negative, the driver from the fisrt vid SUCKS..unless it was someones wife driving while he was filming.. If that is the best burnout, wheel spin or hot ******* he/she could do, they need to buy a Honda
Old 11-21-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=gateman;12527062]I will give my 2 cents...even if it is negative..I would stay away from Flowmaster, they rob power, sure they are better than stock but that is as far as it goes.. They are the hyped up brand that Jegs/Summitt push and you see them on the TV shows.. Flowmaster spends huge money on advertising and sponsering for the TV shows.. I had flowmaster 40' on a built 400 for my 79' TA (prior to the 540 thats in it now) and they sounded good BUT when I switched out to Magnaflow, had more low end, you could absolutely feel the difference from the drivers seat...
Well while at the local speed shop (Lynn's Speed and Custom) on my 540 build..They just finished a built 402 sbc... on the dyno it made about 503hp with the huge outdoor muffler stacks made for the dyno.. After all was said and done, we tried several mufflers just for to see.. Using the same headers we used a 2.5 pipe about 10' long exiting out the room.. Tried my flowmasters i had, magnaflow and a new Spintech muffler.. Well the flowmaster lost a little under 20 hp, the magnoflow lost about 8 and the Spintech pulled in the same numbers as the HUGE muffler stacks that were designed just for dyno exhaust to be free flowing and somewhat quite.. SO,
I would stay away from Flowmaster if you are concerned about HP.. I think that most hardcore car guys, engine builders and racers all know about Flowmaster.. However, due to thier advertising, the average Joe has no chance..I now run Spintech on the majority of my cars and a Corsa system on my WS6.. Just FYI, not trying to offend anyone, just stating facts..
Also, while I am still being negative, the driver from the fisrt vid SUCKS..unless it was someones wife driving while he was filming.. If that is the best burnout, wheel spin or hot ******* he/she could do, they need to buy a Honda[/QUOTE]

I agree with that LOL. But the FM 10's are a SWEET sounding muffler and I don't think they are very restictive at all. They are a one chamber design IIRC. The 80 series are the ones designed to fit in our OEM exhaust and are three chamber and restrictive once mods have been done....
Old 11-22-2009, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gixxer75094lt1
i dont find a point doing a h-pipe or x-pipe set up on stock manifolds and cats. if you dont plan on doing longtubes just get a catback exhaust. dont know how strict cali emissions are, i know they are the strictest in the u.s by far and if they do ''visual'' inspection every single time then yes the lt's wont work. over here in illinois 96 and up just do the obd2 scan and long as they are no engine lights u pass and 95 and pre cars are exempt now. i think u should do a catback and see how u like that. texas speed makes a catback tsp rumbler which i think is the cheapest in price and probably one of the loudest ive heard on stock car. i think its basically set up like a loudmouth exhaust. last i think they were selling for under 300.00..something like 275.00 i believe. its pretty loud with manifolds and cats. heres a link below....

also the guy in the vid stated the car only has a lid, ported maf and a tb..stock manifolds and cats still on the car. its pretty loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJVgR...eature=related
It sounds sweet but I want more of a old skool sound you know.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroPrince
Hey bro, I'm in the same situation you are. I don't want to settle for anything less than LT's and true duals. I'm not worried about passing visual inspection as I know a shop that will not worry about that. It's the sniffer that I'm worried about. Another issue, is as far as visibility, I believe the pipes have to come all the way out the back. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. Also, the sound can't go over 95 db's. Now if you get pulled over that will be up to the police officers discretion, he's not going to have a db meter, but most cops are lenient to us muscle car owners. Instead of getting pulled over, we get a thumbs up.

Right now the only options that I'm considering are:

a. Put on the exact setup I want, true duals plus long tubes, and take it off when it comes smog time and than put it back on again. lol I don't want to do that.
b. Same setup except have some custom mid removable mids pipes fab'd up so I can put on the most restrictive cats I can find just for smog and than cat deletes for the rest of the time.
c. Stick to just a cat back set up with long tubes and high flow cats. Which I'll drive around feeling and thinking that it's less than I want it to be, all the time....
I talked to one of my dads friend. theyve known each other for a while now, and he owns a muffler shop. I stopped by and asked how much would it cost me to do a setup. I told him Im not removing the manifolds or cats. so he said let me check out. he raised up my car. he said I will cut from where the stock y pipe is, and mount a 2 1/2 pipe to a 3 inch to connect with the with the 2 chamber 1 exhaust dumped before the axle. he said that should give me the tone I want. he then recommended me if I wanted high flow cats to make it even deeper, of instead of high flow cats, to buy some cut outs. hes charging me $240. I asked him about if a h pipe is possible, and he said no.

if anyone has pics. would be great if you showed me.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gateman
I will give my 2 cents...even if it is negative..I would stay away from Flowmaster, they rob power, sure they are better than stock but that is as far as it goes.. They are the hyped up brand that Jegs/Summitt push and you see them on the TV shows.. Flowmaster spends huge money on advertising and sponsering for the TV shows.. I had flowmaster 40' on a built 400 for my 79' TA (prior to the 540 thats in it now) and they sounded good BUT when I switched out to Magnaflow, had more low end, you could absolutely feel the difference from the drivers seat...
Also, while I am still being negative, the driver from the fisrt vid SUCKS..unless it was someones wife driving while he was filming.. If that is the best burnout, wheel spin or hot ******* he/she could do, they need to buy a Honda
Right now, like I said, stock motor, stock exhaust manifolds, cats.
stock y pipe, to a 40 series flowmaster. it sounds great, and when a little race comes along, it sounds great, but I wanna go with a deeper sound. I prefer flowmaster over magnaflows. they seem to me like an expensive resonator.