Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hole in brake line

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in brake line

Ok so i changed my plugs today and when i pulled off my blower inlet tube i saw a groove in the top of the line that goes to the right rear brake. The dealership said it would be 330$ to replace the line and naturaly i said f**k that. it is only a pin hole but enough to leak fluid, do you guys know of any way i could patch it or seal it someway??? any help would be great.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm...I hear the ducktape gods calling...great time to save up for a whole new brake kit...Baer sounds nice to me...good luck

Wes

Last edited by onebadz; 01-08-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onebadz
Hmmm...I hear the ducktape gods calling...I would do it until I got a brake upgrade...great time to save up for a whole new brake kit...Baer sounds nice to me...good luck

Wes
WTF dude are you stupid or something??? Please tell me you are joking. Brake lines are nothing to joke with in the slightest. You have any idea the pressure that brake lines are subjected to? 1100 PSI depending on application. I would give a f-body setup the better part of 800 PSI to say the least. To me duct tape would do about as much good as a bandaid would do to a amputation patient. If you plan on driving the car then replace it no short cuts here. Your life and car are worth more than a small shortcut. What you can do to eithor patch or replace it is this. I am assuming this is a solid steel line here. You are gonna have to get a piece of tubing the same diameter as the factory tubing. And a set of female fittings the same size as those of the male fittings on the replacement brake tube. You then need to get a tube bender, (you can try to do it by hand but more often than not you crimp the line) and a mini tube cutter and a double flaring tool. Pull part of that rubbed through line loose and cut it off with the tube cutter nice and flush. You will then need to bend that new piece the way you want so it will clear the inlet tube so this doesn't happen again. Then just use the flare tool and put the proper fittings on. It isn't real hard but you might want to buy an additional piece to practice with. If it is one of those braided lines then I would probiably just get a replacement piece from a speed shop. They can get you just about anything for $60 or so. This is just a few suggestions.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey buddy it was sarcastic...chill out

Wes
Old 01-08-2004, 10:17 PM
wrencher

I would just cut the section out flare both ends install union & put it back together & bleed.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onebadz
Hey buddy it was sarcastic...chill out

Wes
Wes, Blown98 is a newbie. This is a fairly serious situation, he may not have read into your sarcasm. Sarcasm doesn't belong in an honest tech post.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrencher
I would just cut the section out flare both ends install union & put it back together & bleed.
there's your solution. cheap too.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

Hey thank you guys for the help, right now i have some JB weld on it just so i can to work but im going to get some tubing and fix that section, Now if i just go to kragen and tell them what i need to do can they get me the tubing and the fittings, flaring tool, and tube cutter. Is this done often or rarely.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you tell them you need a double flare tool kit they should know exactly what you are talking about. The tubing cutter should be a easy too. It's done quite a bit so no worries. If you are worried about it I would take it to a good shop and have them do it, they can do it probiably within an hour. Should be no more than a few hours worth of work and about $35 worth of tools and parts if you do it yourself. Like I said get an extra piece of tube and practce making the flares you if decide to do it yourself. Just some helpful advise. If I was local to you I would offer a hand but you know
Old 01-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Alright im gonna do it myself on my next day off, if i have any problems ill let you guys know, thanks.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

JB weld on a brake line........................................... Brakes are not a thing to say........Ill fix them when I have time, or money. If your brakes fail and you hit a car or a pedestrian or a kid running out into the street. You will have all the time to think about what you should have done when your locked up, and money wont be an issue either. Its an easy fix, just do it unless you work 24 hour shifts you have the time . Or call in I had to call in this week to rebuild my trans didnt want to but didnt have a choice. If you dont have time drop it off at a shop, and get it fixed. driveing with unsafe brakes is like playing russian rollette with other peoples lifes.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed. Do not drive the car again until you get this fixed. I have had my foot go right to the floor in another car when I was applying the breaks. Talk about a puckering experience!!! I know left a suction mark on the seat!!!
All because of a pin hole in the break line.

Thank God I was in a parking lot and not going very fast. I had to Emergency break and shift to low gears really fast to prevent from hitting a parked car.

Please, please. Do not drive the car again until you get the lines fixed.

Last edited by Wildman; 01-09-2004 at 10:28 PM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: Hole in brake line