Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR vaccum tube underneath fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR vaccum tube underneath fuse box

My air box does not have that tube running from it into the pump for the AIR system. There is just a small tube cut off and sitting right underneath the air box. Is this normal for some cars? If not, is it a problem? I have a 1998 Trans Am.

It's just that I'm really starting to run into a lot of problems with the car I just bought from a supposed mechanic.

I want to remove the AIR system but I have looked everywhere (this site included) and can not find a good enough explanation that I can apply right to my car. I get blocking the exhaust manifolds, I just don't know what to do with behind the intake. And whether I have to do this when I eventually buy a PP Typhoon intake.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Also the fuse box is just sitting there freely. This is why I'm suspecting that something was done. Any ideas on how to secure that sucker back down?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock airbox?

on the back of the intake, there are vac lines for the a/c, a black plastic cylinder under the passenger side frame rail, and AIR

the black plastic cylinder is for the A/C to switch the vents faster. it just stores vacuum. it can be removed (nothing to do with AIR). remove the AIR vac line and just plug the A/C vac line directly to the intake manifold instead of using the factory T-splitter. ill find a pic to better explain
Old 02-03-2010, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mile_high51
Also the fuse box is just sitting there freely. This is why I'm suspecting that something was done. Any ideas on how to secure that sucker back down?
single fuse box or the whole fuse box/retainer assembly?

the fuse boxes just snap into the retainer and the assembly attaches to the bracket on the fender and the lip of the hole where the AIR pump is/was, whatever the scenario is
Old 02-03-2010, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

here ya go. all the AIR crap can come off and remove all associated lines, T-fitting and just run the A/C vac line directly to the barb on the back of the intake

Old 02-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

pictures would be helpful if you have them. otherwise I can just take a closer look at it and use your advise to go from there.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

thanks!

that helps a ton with the intake manifold question. I has just always heard of freeze plugs and such being used in the back, but I take it that's only associated with blocking the front hole in an EGR removal with a stock LS1 intake.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

thanks A LOT man! That offers some explanation. Its the whole fuse box assembly with the two boxes being attached. They just sit on stop of a vacuum tube that I haven't looked at but just assume runs down to the AIR pump.

So the tube I see running to the air box (particularly on aftermarket lids and cai's like volant) is for the A/C, not for the air?
no prob man. no, there is a plastic vac line coming from the back of the intake to the passenger side area to a plastic canister on the passenger side framerail. i just mentioned this vac line also since u are going to remove the AIR vac line from behind the intake and was just pointing out that the only vac line u will need attached to the barb on the back of the intake is the vac line running to the plastic A/C box on the firewall.

unless u plan on deleting A/C and heat in the future, then all u will need to do is install a vac cap on the barb behind the intake. this is what i did since i trashed my A/C and heat for a drag setup

just pointing out all the options you have

ya the freeze plug is for the EGR hole on LS1 intake manifolds
Old 02-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

i have a stock air box. i just always saw on aftermarket lids and cai's that there is a tube running right into the side of it. is this the same tube that's just sitting under my fuse box?

So if I remove the air, I suppose I just have to plug that when I eventually buy a lid or cai?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

i have a stock air box. i just always saw on aftermarket lids and cai's that there is a tube running right into the side of it. is this the same tube that's just sitting under my fuse box?

So if I remove the air, I suppose I just have to plug that when I eventually buy a lid or cai?

Thanks again for the help.
ya, the tube off of the AIR pump runs to the lid. not sure why yours doesnt. yep, just plug the hole when you buy a lid or CAI so dirt isnt sucked in

no problem, let me know if you run into any probs or dont understand anything and ill try to explain myself better
Old 02-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, just to verify. In that picture the A/C line is not there correct? And I need to plug this A/C line directly into where I removed the small plastic AIR line and T fitting?

I've just seen in the past even you have mentioned some type of block off plate for the back of the intake. So I was/am confused.

I'm sure I'll figure this all out when I get ***** deep into this thing but I want to make sure not to mess anything up.

And I can't say this enough, thanks for your help.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

The so I will be removing the plastic line that runs from the barb on the back of the intake, and plugging the A/C line directly into that port?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

no problemo. A/C line is not pictured. stock, it would go where the empty barb is on that T-fitting in the pic. yes, just plug the A/C vac line directly to the barb on the back of the intake. looks hell of alot cleaner than keeping the T-fitting and using a vac plug. the blockoff plates i mentioned in the past are for the EGR provisions on the intake (98-00 LS1), EGR provision on the passenger exhaust manifold and AIR provisions on both exhaust manifolds

no blockoff plates for the back. if i mentioned so in the past, i meant vac plugs if anything and thats if u keep the T-fitting

Quick Reply: AIR vaccum tube underneath fuse box