New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whisking/rubbing noise in front left

Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whisking/rubbing noise in front left

I know this is going to be really hard to diagnose over the net, but I'll let you know what I know, and we'll go from there.

My car just turned 107,000 miles if that helps with any wear on "certain parts theories."

I've been getting this whisking noise that is audible when the windows are down, but I don't hear it or feel it with the windows up. The noise is coming from the front left tire/wheel well. It makes a whisk every time the the tire makes a revolution, so obviously as you speed up it happens more frequently, until about 30 mph, where it either goes away or road noise masks it. To me it seemed like I had something in my tire. I pulled it off and examined it, and there was nothing in my tire. I turned the rotor by hand to see if I could hear the noise, and I could faintly hear a little noise. So I stuck my head in the wheel well while I turned it but it seemed to be above my head. I examined the caliper, brake pads, little clips that hold the pads, etc. and everything appeared to be tight. Is there anything in the suspension or stabilizer that might make a noise like that?

It did seem like it started to happen after I took it to an oil change shop to have my oil changed. I'm sure they lubed the front end, but I can't hardly imagine that having anything to do with it.

Again, I know this is probably a hard thing to diagnose without physically hearing and seeing it, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Wheel bearing????????
Old 03-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Same problem as I had/have.
I changed brake pads/rechecked everything. Pretty sure it's gonna be wheel bearing hub.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^+1

Also I dont think there are any grease fittings on these cars, so the oil change shouldnt have anything to do with it. Definitely check out that wheel bearing.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

How hard is a wheel bearing to do? Any special tools? Any tips or tricks?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Teching In

There is somewhere on here, at work or I'd find it for ya. It's 4 bolts. Get some pb blaster
Old 03-09-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys... wheel hub assembly / bearing ordered w/ delivery for under $150... should be a pretty cheap and easy fix... I hope!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: whisking/rubbing noise in front left