Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about LS1 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about LS1 rebuild

Hey everyone. Well I decided to rebuild my 99 LS1 after I noticed some rod knock at 58,000 miles. I have torn my motor apart and found scorched rod bearings which probably caused my knock. I just don't know why they went bad.

I decided to do all new main bearings, rod bearings, LS6 oil pump, gaskets, rings (oil consumption issues), head bolts, harmonic balancer bolt. Is there anything else I should do or be looking for? This is my first time doing a re-build and I wanted to do it by myself. Should the cylinders be honed? There is no wear on them and I can still see the cross-hatching.

I plan to build a whole new motor in about a year since money is pretty tight right now and I wanted to start with a larger engine block. So it kind of sucks that I have to do all this work and then re-do everything in about a year. My main goal is just to do enough to 'get by' for a year so I would like to save some money. I guess the rings could wait, and I just re-use them for now. Are there any good guides that I can use to help me? I do have the factory service manuals.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need to have the crank checked and at least polished if it is within acceptable dimensions or ground if not. Install new cam bearing too. I usually use a flex hone when installing new rings so that they will seat. If you are going this far I would definitely install new rings. Also check the heads. Probably a good idea to install new valve stem seals if you are having oil consumption issues. Wash everything until you think is it spotless and then wash it some more. You cannot get everything too clean.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by txcarbuilder
You will need to have the crank checked and at least polished if it is within acceptable dimensions or ground if not. Install new cam bearing too. I usually use a flex hone when installing new rings so that they will seat. If you are going this far I would definitely install new rings. Also check the heads. Probably a good idea to install new valve stem seals if you are having oil consumption issues. Wash everything until you think is it spotless and then wash it some more. You cannot get everything too clean.

+1

I say, rings, hone, head bolts, the valve seals, bearings, check the heads and do a LS6 Oil pump. . . . Then clean everything, you should be good for budget rebuild. . . .

Anyone else? I don't think I am missing anything.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah while it's apart I'd go ahead and do headers.. Cam.. Heads.. Etc.. Lol. Jk man it sounds like these guys have about covered it all.. Is take my time and clean everything up and make it look nice before putting it back together.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it's out, turbo it.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple of things you have to watch out for when reassembling as LS engine. The oil pump has to be aligned correctly on the front of the crank and the rear cover has to be aligned for the rear seal to fit. Other than that not much is different than other engines.