Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice: Air induction on T/A w/WS.6 hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice: Air induction on T/A w/WS.6 hood

Hey I'm looking to upgrade from the stock air intake and I have some questions.

I had decided I was going to buy the FTRA with an SLP lid. But then I learned that their is a form of Ram Air that attaches(or at least takes air in through the hood nostrils) to the ws6 hood. I'd like to know whether I should stay with the FTRA and lid or if I should find a ram air kit that utilizes my hood rather than going underneath the car.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

not sure I follow what you are asking?? but is this what you are talking about??
http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...oducts_id=1475
Old 03-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Yeah that's the one I saw that utilizes the ws6 hood. Now that you know what I'm talking about... which one should I go with? and are there any pics of this ws6 ram air on a motor so I can see what it looks like?
Old 03-21-2010, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

you are confusing me with the "ws6 ram air" you keep using. the WS6 hood has supplies the "Ram Air" effect into the air box. That fasttoys system allows you to use the two scoops under the hood to flow more air into the air lid, similar the WS6 hood. The SLP brings air from under the car into the bottom of the air lid (after cutting a hole under the air box). Personally, I dont think neither will make any significant HP gains worth the $200 price tags. I had looked at getting the Fasttoys, but $200 seems like a lot for a piece of metal.... just my opinion, bro Those kits are mainly designed for the non-WS6 and non-SS model cars.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, lets clear up a few things here. That system with the link above is the JAAM Ram air kit. It adds a kind of "weather stripping" to seal the hood scoops to the air box/ lid. I talked with a rep. from the company that said the other part that goes with that kit was well that "gathers" air from the lower scoops on the hood is really for asthetic purposes, and that the top two scoops that are sealed to the airbox/lid create the actual performance increase.

The other system you can buy is the FTRA CAI set up that draws air from the front bottom of the car, up to the bottom of the air box. I believe it is around $200 as well.

There is a similar system to the FTRA CAI set up from SLP. That's the "SLP CAI" set up.

And to answer your question, I'd stick with the FTRA and lid. No need to spend $200 to switch to hood. I personally think the CAI from under would gain better performance.

If you have a WS6 hood, I'd suggest doing this and keep your $200.

$5 at Home Depot
Old 03-21-2010, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

^^^^^ yes i have done that Exact same thing. but i find it hard to believe that Fasttoys charges $200 for three Foam Filler Strips..... but if you have a ram air hood, you dont need a CAI. "Cold Air" is already being supplied via the hood scoops.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by YURVIEW
^^^^^ yes i have done that Exact same thing. but i find it hard to believe that Fasttoys charges $200 for three Foam Filler Strips..... but if you have a ram air hood, you dont need a CAI. "Cold Air" is already being supplied via the hood scoops.
The Foam part is $120. You can buy the diverter strip seperately for $80. The entire kit is $200.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Hey guys all your advice has been great but I didn't do my research very well. I found out why I was so confused(and why my questions confused you). My car is a standard trans am... not a trans am ws6. It had an aftermarket ws6 hood put on it by a previous owner. Thus my air intake is still the standard non ram air intake.

When YURVIEW said that the hood was providing cold air directly to my air box it was confusing the heck out of me because I looked countless times and there was no airflow from my hood being directed to my airbox.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I pry should of specified better that my car was originally without the ram air hood. But with this said, where could I get a setup(or what do I need to do) to use the ram air hood?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

volant, with slight modification to make it seal on the ws6 hood
i followed this guys instructions and love how it looks and seals tight

Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Just buy the WS6 base that your air lid mounts to.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ta_engage
Hey guys all your advice has been great but I didn't do my research very well. I found out why I was so confused(and why my questions confused you). My car is a standard trans am... not a trans am ws6. It had an aftermarket ws6 hood put on it by a previous owner. Thus my air intake is still the standard non ram air intake.

When YURVIEW said that the hood was providing cold air directly to my air box it was confusing the heck out of me because I looked countless times and there was no airflow from my hood being directed to my airbox.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I pry should of specified better that my car was originally without the ram air hood. But with this said, where could I get a setup(or what do I need to do) to use the ram air hood?
So, your after market faux WS6 hood doesn't have the big hole in it to feed the air box? The scoops just go to nothing?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder why GM didn't just stick with something like the LT1 WS6 airbox for the LS1. seems like it does the exact same thing the Volant does.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
So, your after market faux WS6 hood doesn't have the big hole in it to feed the air box? The scoops just go to nothing?
I'm pretty sure that the hood and scoops go through. But the lid encases the filter and the entire air intake sucks air from below... as if there is no ws6 hood to bring air from.

Raptor_WS6: Who's guide did you follow to do this?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Post some pics!!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by burnout346
Post some pics!!!!
School is keeping me busy but hopefully I can get some up in a few days
Old 03-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all he wants to know is - what is the best intake to take advantage of the ram air hood. the hood is functional and if not we can make it so.

Quick Reply: Need advice: Air induction on T/A w/WS.6 hood