New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the process of AIR/EGR need immediate responses PLEASE..yes I checked the stickies

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation In the process of AIR/EGR need immediate responses PLEASE..yes I checked the stickies

I am currently pulling out the AIR on a 1998 Trans Am:

Some mods on my car that may matter for this:

Pacesetter headers (not race style)
LS6 intake
PRC Stg 2.5 Heads

1) I pulled the tubes off both sides of the headers, and installed blockoff plates.

2) Followed and pulled hoses to a "T" connector that seemed to just run parallel to the windshield.

3) Followed that hose along the drivers side all the way down to a hole (behind drivers headlight unit) and removed that hose.

4) That hose was connected to the AIR pump.

5) Used access panel underneath drivers side and removed the AIR pump and unplugged sensor and (some small diameter "hose" that was also connected near or on the pump.)

Here are my issues:

The AIR pump had small length of tube running above it to a black plastic cylinder . What do I do with that?

That same cylinder had a piece of hose coming out of the side of it also, What do I do here?

I used the diagram found here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...uestion-2.html

My hose that would run from the pump to the upper area under and behind the headlight isn't that long, and runs into that black plastic cylinder.

Also, this may sound even worse, but I can't find my EGR. I'm wondering if it was already removed? Anyone have an in car pic with the EGR showing.

One other thing: There is a small diameter copper hose running underneath the throttle body with nothing attached. What is that piece for?

Like I said; I have read through the stickies before undertaking this process and thought I was ready for this. Guess not.

Side note: I have another (3rd) blockoff plate a little larger than the ones I used on the left and right headers. Don't know where to put it/

And I have 2 caps that were recommended in another thread that I purchase. Don't know where that goes, now that I'm having trouble. (Maybe the black cylinder below the driver's headlight?

Thank you in advance; I really need some quick responses.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you cant spot your EGR, its most likely removed. Or you need eye surgery.

As far as the air system, remove what you can and pull the fuse for the air pump. Just pull all the hoses you can. I dont know what black cylinder your talking about though...wheres it located?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

When going through the driver's side acces panel my hand would hit the pump (which I unbolted the (2) 10 mm screws and removed.

The next thing above that is black plastic cylinder (a little less diameter than a coke can) with a hose connection facing directly down and a connection running out of the side. Hoses were attached to this, but now just have empty open holes where I took off the hoses.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Do I still need to plug anything on the LS6 manifold? I was told I needed these caps I bought, but don't know where they go?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

I don't think you'd have to plug anything on the intake manifold. The LS1 intake manifold needs to be plugged on the front of it, right behind the throttle body for the EGR delete but I'm almost positive that the LS6 is already blocked off. Check to see if there is a hole in the top of the manifold in the front. If not, you should be fine.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

I just checked and there is no hole there.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Anyone know what the plastic black cylinder is by any chance?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

There is a 25A fuse on one fuse box and a larger one on the other box...pull both?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Well I pulled both for now. I'll take some pics pics of that cylinder I was talking about tomorrow after work and post it up to see if anyone knows what it is.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah im not sure what you are talking about with the black cylinder.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not sure what this cylinder thing your talking about is? pics would be great. Also I don't have the ls6 intake anymore but doesn't he need to cap off something behind it since he removed those hoses. I can't seem to remember. sure somebody will chime in
Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

pics of said cylinder please.....
Old 03-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Holy crap your making this difficult.. Tear out everything in thr acces panel. There will be wires hanging w connectors.. Leave them.. Also leave the connector that was attached to the round looking thing attached to ur passenger side head.. Just tape or ziptie it out of the way..
Old 03-24-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

here are some pics of the whole system. the small coolant looking pipes and the other next to it on the bottom left hand side are for EGR. the rest is the AIR system. Notice off the air pump that you have a hose going to the air intake lid and another hose that runs up and to the back of the intake. all this crap needs to be pulled out. hope this helps

Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Thank you very much for this pics...I think I took care of most of it last night. I forgot to bring my camera to work today, so I will have to wait to post up those pics. That cylinder has me confused, because I haven't seen it on anyone elses setup.

I know I sound paranoid and this is suppossed to be an easy mod, but it freaks me out ripping parts from my car without knowing what exactly everything is.

Thanks for the help,
Matt
Old 03-26-2010, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

The third block off plate that is a little larger is for the EGR. LS6 intakes don't have an egr, so someone must have removed it already. The small copper tube under the throttle body sounds like someone bypassed the TB coolant line maybe? pics would help. If the black cylinder you are talking about doesn't connect to anything except the air pump, it was probably an air resivoir.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the tube that comes out fo the back of the intake, does it need to be blocked off as well?