Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice and Answers welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Advice and Answers welcome.

So i'm in planning to rebuild my motor to a forged 383 or forge the inside and keep the stock crank. the motor currently has 81000 and some change and i have plans to supercharge later when the funds permit. In the mean time i'd like to carve some corners and drive it around to beat up on some imports and stangs ....I've crunched the numbers on forged pistons and rods and it turns out that its just a few hundred bucks less than a stroker kit. i'm guessing it would be wiser to go with the stroker kit. In that I was advised to go with dished piston for lower compression but because i wont be able to buy a S/C anytime soon I was told you could go with flat tops as well but i'd have to find some heads that will lower the compression....sorry bout the long thread btw.....
When looking at the piston for the stroker kit i had the option for diffrent types of pistons some with -2cc or -7cc but thats were i got confused. Does that mean it will sit below the deck or above it???
Ok if I keep the compression ratio stock what heads would you guys recommend to help lower the compression ratio for the future S/C???
In the mean time i'd like to be well over 400 hp...i currently have ARHeaders those wont get put on till i get the motor rebuit, and Strano suspension...
thnks

Last edited by oxblood!z28; 03-27-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Build it once and build it right. Keep it stock until you can do what you want with it! Lower compression is gonna be slower than stock for the time being. Do the bolt ons now, then lower compression and supercharge later!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with above. Do bolt ons, cam and a tune. It will be a nice SOTP feeling. Then save your money and do a full rebuild once. And -cc pistons and dished.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What stoker kit are you looking in to? What brand of pistons? Is this car more for street or for the stip?

Also a dished or a relief cut (-cc) pistons will still come up in the hole to the top and be flush with the block deck. Here's a pic of my -4cc relief pistons.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by conan
What stoker kit are you looking in to? What brand of pistons? Is this car more for street or for the stip?

Also a dished or a relief cut (-cc) pistons will still come up in the hole to the top and be flush with the block deck. Here's a pic of my -4cc relief pistons.

I was looking at the 383 from TSP...and they had -2cc flat tops with the options but i also came across a set of diamonds that came with -7cc...one of the reps said i can run boost with flat tops if i lower the compression by going with a larger combustion chamder head but i can't run that much boost...i'd like to run like 14lbs but i dont see that happening with flat top pistons.your block is sick bro...its kind of hard to see the piston sitting flush to the deck still bad *** though...so with a (-cc) piston regardless of type will always come up above the hole or sit below....
Old 03-28-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by oxblood!z28
I was looking at the 383 from TSP...and they had -2cc flat tops with the options but i also came across a set of diamonds that came with -7cc...one of the reps said i can run boost with flat tops if i lower the compression by going with a larger combustion chamder head but i can't run that much boost...i'd like to run like 14lbs but i dont see that happening with flat top pistons.your block is sick bro...its kind of hard to see the piston sitting flush to the deck still bad *** though...so with a (-cc) piston regardless of type will always come up above the hole or sit below....
Thanks man, those pistons will come up flush with the block deck just like the stock pistons. If your going to run this on the street more than the track I would shoot for 9.5:1 compression. I'm running 9.4:1 compression and thats as low as I would go for street driving. Also you can run higher boost on higher compression, just get a methanol injection. I'm changing my blower pully and adding meth to my set up in the next week or 2, I should be around 14-15#'s of boost, with 91 octane and meth I'll be around 108 octane to fight the detonation.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by conan
Thanks man, those pistons will come up flush with the block deck just like the stock pistons. If your going to run this on the street more than the track I would shoot for 9.5:1 compression. I'm running 9.4:1 compression and thats as low as I would go for street driving. Also you can run higher boost on higher compression, just get a methanol injection. I'm changing my blower pully and adding meth to my set up in the next week or 2, I should be around 14-15#'s of boost, with 91 octane and meth I'll be around 108 octane to fight the detonation.
Intresting....so your gonna mix it i thought that was used for cooling...it sounds like a substitue for nitro minus the blower...how many ponies are you gonna be pushing to the tires....
Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by oxblood!z28
Intresting....so your gonna mix it i thought that was used for cooling...it sounds like a substitue for nitro minus the blower...how many ponies are you gonna be pushing to the tires....
The meth will cool the air intake charge and because it's a fuel it will up the octane count as well. I hope with the pully change, meth and exhaust cutout to hit 600hp at the wheels (521 rwhp now). Making big power a mile high in the sky has been a humbling experience to say the least.