New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for cam info

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for cam info

The next mod i would like to do to my 02 ws6 is a cam. I really don't know anything about cams. Right now, I have Pacesetter coated long tube headers and a corsa cat back on the way. Does anybody have any suggestions on a cam that will give me some good power increase while leaving the car streetable? Also, what is all involved in installing a cam? Is there work that needs to be done to the heads to allow a cam install or can a cam go in with the stock heads?

Any suggestions, recommendations, info is welcome and appreciated. Like I said, i dont know anything about cams in general, what kind i should get, which are the best.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Start here, and get a sense of what your goal is, including emissions restrictions and drivability. then you'll be ready to ask more detailed questions.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html

A cam swap runs about $700 (+/-), and nothing needs to be done to the stock heads to prepare them. But some cams will run better with different heads and bolt-ons, so a little research is in order to identify what works best with your intended set up. If you want to do it yourself, see if you can watch a couple or help do it first. LOL, I'm sure you can find someone that'll be happy to let you strip down the engine for him before he swaps cams...

A couple of cams that don't need a ton of bolt-on support and make good power: TSP 224R or 228R, TR224, or if you're keeping your LS1 intake...a TR 227/224. For larger cams, you'll probably want taller gears and\or a stall. Have fun researching...

Last edited by FUN LS1; 04-10-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

are emiision inspections required where u live? answer this so we can better inform u.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Are you going to install the cam your self? If so you can check out ls1howto.com it has step by step info with pics. I used it when i did mine. It helped me out, as far as cam choice goes ask alot of questions.(there is alot of good info on here) And pick what you think will work best for you. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:21 AM

Yes emissions tests are required where I'm at. I most likely will not be installing it myself. I've never done it.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:04 AM
Teching In

auto or manual
Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The stickies in the internal engine section of this forum are a great place to start. Although it seems like a maze of information, it really isn't too difficult after some reading (both the stickies and some of the threads you'll encounter via search).