New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

139k miles change to synthetic?

Old 04-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 139k miles change to synthetic?

New to the world of LS1's.. I am big believer in synthetic oil tho.. would anyone recommend NOT changing to syn. given the mileage? not sure of the past oil that was ran in the motor? also what weight syn would you recommend if so?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try it out, there's a chance the main seals could leak. Conventional oil has a way of making the seals swell up, and when switching to synthetic if the seals are old they can allow oil to leak. Also, synthetic oil molecules are smaller than conventional, so that allows greater chance for the seals to allow oil to slip by.

Worst case scenario, you keep an eye on your garage floor and your oil level. If it leaks then you switch back to conventional. If it doesn't, then you're good to go!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It came from the factory with Mobil synthetic 5W-30, but it could have anything in it now. I've always run synthetic. You'll probably get a lot of opinions about which oil and which viscosity, though...
Old 04-12-2010, 09:37 PM

wow! thanks for the quick response! I will give it a shot and see what happens. had a question about engine noise on cold start up but, thanks to everyone I have determined its a little bit of piston slap..

Anyone have an answer for this??

shifting from drive to reverse or reverse to drive, I am getting a noise. Its not a clunk but more like a creeking sound like a load is shifting on something metal.. brakes applied or not doesn't seem to have an affect on the noise.

"00 Auto trans am..
Old 04-13-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Synthetic oil holds up , protects , cleans and reconditions better. I had an oil leak when i first got my car, a year and a half of synthetic changes and its no more..I wouldnt use anything but...The last change I used the new Pennzoil Ultra. Its a little more expensive but suppose to perform great.

Last edited by MonmouthCtyLS7; 04-13-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Cars take motor oil
Old 04-13-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
Cars take motor oil
Do they?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:35 AM
Staging Lane

AMSOIL FTW
Old 04-14-2010, 07:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dummybait
AMSOIL FTW
Amsoils good the only problem is you cant just run up to any store and buy it. Pennzoil Ultra ftmfw
Old 04-14-2010, 07:13 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Cars take motor oil
THIS is why I visit LS1 Tech; the wealth of information here is so helpful. Without LS1 Tech there's no way I could've figured this out on my own.

THANK YOU LS1 TECH!!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Amsoils good the only problem is you cant just run up to any store and buy it. Pennzoil Ultra ftmfw
well if your are a preferred customer or a dealer just order it... but yeah i see your point...

my father is a dealer...so i get the stuff through him.

preferred membership is cheap.. https://www.amsoil.com/AmsoilLogin/PreferredApp.aspx
Old 04-14-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

I use 20w50 motorcycle oil
Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dummybait
well if your are a preferred customer or a dealer just order it... but yeah i see your point...

my father is a dealer...so i get the stuff through him.

preferred membership is cheap.. https://www.amsoil.com/AmsoilLogin/PreferredApp.aspx
I am a dealer...for atleast another mth anyway...after paying the shipping it still isnt worth it.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Launching!

do it.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Meager
Anyone have an answer for this??

shifting from drive to reverse or reverse to drive, I am getting a noise. Its not a clunk but more like a creeking sound like a load is shifting on something metal.. brakes applied or not doesn't seem to have an affect on the noise.

"00 Auto trans am..
My auto made a simillar noise with the stock converter. It doesn't do it with the loose one installed now.

When I put it in gear all the weight would shift as the car tried to move foreward or reverse against the brake. There were a couple of creaks and moans, but that's normal. Combination of GM build quality and LS tq.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Since you don't know what's in the car now, this doesn't really apply to you...

I get a kick out of threads that say " I have 130K+ miles on my _____ and it runs great. It doesn't burn oil or leak, and has great oil pressure. Should I switch to _______ oil?

Why? What you're using has been working.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91RS383
Since you don't know what's in the car now, this doesn't really apply to you...

I get a kick out of threads that say " I have 130K+ miles on my _____ and it runs great. It doesn't burn oil or leak, and has great oil pressure. Should I switch to _______ oil?

Why? What you're using has been working.
lol, well, good point. However, I do think that switching to synthetic isn't going to hurt anything, in fact, it should help.

My bro ran 272k on the clock on his 1990 Olds (same model as mine) with conventional oil before he hit a deer. I run conventional in my Olds, and have 123k on the clock (nothing for the 3.8), and I would recommend conventional oil to anybody driving a normal car or truck. However, I would only run synthetic in any performance engine or on an engine that may regularly see the upper end of the RPM range. Would conventional be enough? Yes, especially if the oil change intervals are proper. Would synthetic benefit you? Probably, anything that can help reduce wear on an engine IMO is a good thing.

I do understand what you're saying tho. Apparently those drivers have been doing something right (not using junk oil and changing it properly). I'd much rather run conventional oil in my LS1 and change it every 3k than be one of those people that thinks 10k on synthetic is perfectly fine....
Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Cars take motor oil
Whats oil? I keep hearing people on here talking about changing oil? Am i supposed to change something in my car?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 PM

Thanks for all the help. and sweet comments.. glad I copuld get something started!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Teching In

I've been running Synthetic Oil in my 99' Z28 since I drove her off the lot with 11 miles on the clock. She now has 114K plus on her and the LS1 Tech at Day's Chevrolet in Acworth is amazed that my engine doesn't even show gasket and seal seepage. I Seafoam (TM) the engine for 200 miles once a year. I also change the oil every three thousand miles or less; yes I know there are people who say I'm throwing away money but I'm the guy with no leaks on an engine that is notorious for leaking oil. Coincidence? I have to admit maybe.

In your case I suggest to call around and speak to at least one LS1 tech at a Chevrolet/Pontiac dealership near you and get their input, my guess is that they may tell you to continue running regular oil so that the gaskets and seals do not begin to leak from changing oil types.

Enjoy and take care of that LS1.

Search this Thread