New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TA buyer questions. A4 or M6? Convert. or T-tops?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA buyer questions. A4 or M6? Convert. or T-tops?

I am looking at a Trans Am (preferably WS6) for around 8-10K$. I figure it will have around 70K miles, so is there anything I need to watch out for? I know certain cars have certain issues that are standard. Tranny's on durango's, pumps on tiburon's, etc. Another question is auto or manual, I learned to drive a manual when I was 12, and all the cars I have owned and loved have been also. I prefer it to drive, but what are the differences as far as repair and maintenance costs, and miles to the gallon? Of course I'm going to drive it hard . I know convertibles also affect insurance, but do T-tops? I have had 9 violations with no points on my license, but as an 18 year old college kid insurance is pretty damn high. My camaro has t-tops and the insurance is the same as my firebird without, but seeing as a trans am is a hell of a lot more powerful they might try to get the money out of me. Anything a buyer needs to look out for, please feel free to post and help me out!!!! Thanks for the help!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

I'd make sure the rear end doesn't whine like monica lewinsky taking a cigar from bill. The stock 10 bolt is the achilles heal of F-bodys. It's really nothing to worry about unless the car has been launched on slicks. I'd take T-tops over a convert. As far as A4 or M6 i would think about what you want to do with the car. The M6 is more durable and can handle more power but will be tougher on the rear. The A4 will be easier on the rear.

You can't go wrong with either choice these cars can take abuse.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Garr
I am looking at a Trans Am (preferably WS6) for around 8-10K$. I figure it will have around 70K miles, so is there anything I need to watch out for? I know certain cars have certain issues that are standard. Tranny's on durango's, pumps on tiburon's, etc. Another question is auto or manual, I learned to drive a manual when I was 12, and all the cars I have owned and loved have been also. I prefer it to drive, but what are the differences as far as repair and maintenance costs, and miles to the gallon? Of course I'm going to drive it hard . I know convertibles also affect insurance, but do T-tops? I have had 9 violations with no points on my license, but as an 18 year old college kid insurance is pretty damn high. My camaro has t-tops and the insurance is the same as my firebird without, but seeing as a trans am is a hell of a lot more powerful they might try to get the money out of me. Anything a buyer needs to look out for, please feel free to post and help me out!!!! Thanks for the help!!!
As far as A4 or M6, you'll get a lot of conflicting opinions. As far as things breaking:

A4
-The 4L60e can go under stock power (doesn't necessarily mean it will)
-The A4 is more gentle with the 10 bolt rear

M6
-The T-56 is a tough tranny
-The T-56 is also tough on the 10 bolt, more so than the A4
-The stock LS1 clutch doesn't seem to take much more than stock power, so a new clutch will probably be in your future
-Pre '01 (I think) hydraulics are pretty poor, a Tick Master will correct or even the drill mod will help. Even with the upgraded hydraulics ('01-'02) it's not perfect

The M6 do return higher fuel economy than the A4's (two extra gears), and many average around 30 mpg highway with the M6. The A4's with stock gearing can return high 20's, but when you swap out the 2.73's or 3.23's, it hurts it. Common A4 upgrades are a stall and higher gears, while common M6 upgrades are clutch/MC/gears. Price wise, I don't know what will cost you more in the long run, it depends on driving style, luck, and how much power you're putting out.

As far as other things that go wrong, the window and headlight motors dont last forever (not a big deal IMO), pre '00 cars (I think) have more problems with their oil pumps (I haven't had any with mine), and I think that's about it.

I don't know much about insurance. I'm guessing T-tops wont affect it.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Genius. Thank you both!!! I am leaning towards M6, cause I love driving them anyway.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stallled a4 over any m6 any day these cars perform better with a stalled auto....trust me I was anti auto till I drove a stalled cammed ws6 there no fighting gears the hit is there everytime I went from a 6 speed to a auto
Old 04-13-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Autos are great for launching at the track but otherwise, IMO, M6 is the way to go. Sounds like that is what you really want anyway. T-top cars are still listed as coupes so no worries there. In my experience, about the only way to hurt a T56 is to really screw up a shift.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are my suggestions, I own a m6 00 Trans Am.
If you can buy an 01 or 02 car. The ls6 intake is something your gonna probably want anyway so might as well look for a car that comes with it stock. Tho the ls6 intake is only like a ~$300 part.
T-Tops/Vert: T-tops are the way to go IMO.
Auto or M6: M6 for sure. Unless you plan to build the auto and throw a stall on it, the m6 IMO is more fun.
Insurance: I have been paying about ~$730 per 6 months for full coverage with upped limits since I was 23 and I have an accident on my record.

edit:
Also check my post in this thread on what to look for as a buyer:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...what-look.html

Last edited by udienow; 04-13-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

I have a t top A4 and love it. Gears going in at Speed tomorrow. Then stall!!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

This may be a noob question, but what is a stall exactly? I thought it somehow revs higher so you can do what would be equal to dumping the clutch? Thank you both of you, udienow that was a ton of help haha!!! T-tops it is. Also, do LS6 intakes come stock on the 01 or 02 models?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Yes it is like dumping the clutch but a lot less abuse on the drivetrain.Yes,01-02 come w/ ls-6 intakes.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

So what sort of stall would I need to match the power of an M6? and would nitrous effect this at all? I plan on puttinng a kit in
Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

if you want consistant dragstrip times, A4. if stalling a daily driver, probably not bigger than a 3800 stall. they make stalls that are good with nitrous

if you want to autocross or just street driving, M6 is more fun, although a stalled A4 is pretty damn fun too
Old 04-13-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Garr
Genius. Thank you both!!! I am leaning towards M6, cause I love driving them anyway.
If that's how you're feeling, DEFINITELY go with a M6. I don't even really like driving manuals that much, and I STILL wish mine was one...auto is just boring to drive alot of the time.

All the stalled A4 guys will jump in and tell you how much fun a stalled auto is, but stall or not, you still can't row throw the gears and have the driver involvement of working the clutch, so IMO ist's still going to boring. Faster, but boring.

If you're constantly in traffic, or going to be drag racing alot, the A4 is good, but for driving involvement/enyjoyment, M6 all the way.

As far a vert vs. t-top, I'd go t-tops. The vert is nice if it's going to be a cruiser, but for racing, they're heavier and if you run under a certain ET you'll have to run a rollcage to be able to run at the track. Plus, IMO, they don't make as good daily drivers, and you have more security concers with a fabric roof, and IMO they don't look as good with hte top UP as a coupe does.

I like the t-s because it's the best of both worlds: with them in you get the security of a hardtop, with them off you get the sun in your face, wind in your hair aspect of the vert.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

No need for another M6 vs A4 thread. If you really want to read all the bullshit on both sides, try a search.