Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking sound

i just bought a 2002 ws6 with 28,000 miles on it. but i hear a ticking noise from the engine? can it be my oil, too much or too little? are ticking noises normal for ls1's?
Old 04-21-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ticking at start up (piston slap) is normal. Ticking after it warms up can be caused by a lot of things on LSx motors, not all of which are worth fixing... Make sure it's not an exhaust leak. If you're getting oil pressure, you should be OK. Change the oil and make sure it's clean. After that, you going to have to at least pull the rocker covers for a look around.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

There have been a lot of threads and posts about ticking noises in an ls1.. Mine does it.. And so do two others that I know of first hand.. If you have oil pressure and the car is running fine then your probably okay.. Now go enjoy that car!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

can you hear it while you're in the car or just with your hood open? i know i can hear my injectors ticking away when i have my hood open....freaked me out the first time i noticed it but after further inspection i realized it was my injectors...lol
Old 04-21-2010, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Formula93
There have been a lot of threads and posts about ticking noises in an ls1.. Mine does it.. And so do two others that I know of first hand.. If you have oil pressure and the car is running fine then your probably okay.. Now go enjoy that car!

does your car tick after its warm or only when its cold? cus it seems to me that my car does it all the time? but i guess i shouldnt be worried since i read that its common on ls1's.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine ticks all the time, even at operating temperature. Actually I'd describe mine more as a tapping sound. I think it's a bent pushrod. The only way to know if it's a bent pushrod is to pull them out and roll them on a flat surface. I'm not going to do that though because my mechanical knowledge sucks, so the pushrods will get replaced when I, or I should say my mechanic, changes the heads and cam for me.

If it is ticking when warmed up then it's probably not piston slap, because I think that goes away when warm. It could then be a pushrod like I said, or it might be other valvetrain noise. Could also be an exhaust leak like someone said. You should be OK though, but I know it's annoying. Mine annoys the hell out of me and can't wait to get it fixed.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X-ray
Mine ticks all the time, even at operating temperature. Actually I'd describe mine more as a tapping sound. I think it's a bent pushrod. The only way to know if it's a bent pushrod is to pull them out and roll them on a flat surface. I'm not going to do that though because my mechanical knowledge sucks, so the pushrods will get replaced when I, or I should say my mechanic, changes the heads and cam for me.

If it is ticking when warmed up then it's probably not piston slap, because I think that goes away when warm. It could then be a pushrod like I said, or it might be other valvetrain noise. Could also be an exhaust leak like someone said. You should be OK though, but I know it's annoying. Mine annoys the hell out of me and can't wait to get it fixed.
If yours is a bent push rod then I'd try to change it ASAP. I bent 6 of mine racing a friend and I changed them 2 days later. Its not hard at all.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Ls1's are noisy, just outta curiousty what kind of oil filter are you running?

Quick Reply: ticking sound