Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP clear lid installed (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP clear lid installed (pics)

I installed the TSP clear lid yesterday! The most time-consuming part was swapping the IAT sensor over. Save yourself the hassle and order a new sensor/grommet for $10 with your lids when you get them. Quality of the lid was acceptable, but not great. There were a couple of imperfections on the top part of the lid, one of which included a blob of epoxy with a black fleck of something in it. I was able to scrape most of it away and clean the epoxy off so it wasn't as noticeable. The area near the MAF neck of the lid where the two pieces are epoxied together could have been better. They were sealed together, but the epoxy job wasn't neatly done. Overall fit was great with a Holley Powershot filter though!

It definitely seems like it pulls harder, but I'm not sure how much of it is due to the sound of the air being sucked in now. It was quiet before, but it is MUCH louder now! I know it is pulling harder, but man that sound is a MAJOR difference! It will actually spin the tires pretty good in 2nd gear if I hit it at the right RPM and flash the stall converter hard enough. Some of that is the lid, some of it is the cold weather we are having. Here are pics of the lid installed:

View all of the pics HERE.

Before:

After:
Old 01-08-2004, 10:34 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd also agree about the quality of the epoxy. I mean, i'm sure it isn't going to break easily, but the quality and cleanliness could have been better. I'm sure it's not exactly easy to put that lid together though.

Nonetheless, looks great! Would I do it again? Probably not. I'd just go with the cheap LS1 Motorsports for like $75 or whatever it was on sale for. For the look, the TSP has it though!
Old 01-08-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ended up going with the TSP clear too. I had a Whisper lid but it fit like crap. Even with the Holly. The TSP fit much better and since it's clear I can actually see if their is any gaps.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the tsp clear lid on my car before i did a nos-05177 install, i didnt realize the side walls of the tsp clear lid were smoothed out. so i traded someone for a whisper lid and that damn thing was kinda a pain in the *** with a holley power shot. i got it to fit but it eventually cracked a little on the back side, nothing major but i had to seal it up again for good measure.

i agree with you on the epoxy job. when i got it wasn't too thrilled but once it was installed it did look cool. MTI makes a clear lid that seems to look like the process of putting it together was a little more neat plus they have taller side walls for the nitrous jets.
did you do the free air mod when installing the lid? if you didn't pull that sucker out and do it, its definately worth it.
looks good man congrats
~T
Old 01-08-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks nice man...always loved the look of the clear lid...to bad I already have a FIPK :shrug:

Wes
Old 01-08-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I gotta get me one of those...looks cool.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default clear lid

i got one sitting at my buddies house, if you are interested make me an offer and we can see what we can work out
email me at stiflerrox101@aol.com
Old 01-08-2004, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

God that thing looks good...
Old 01-08-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slik98z
i got one sitting at my buddies house, if you are interested make me an offer and we can see what we can work out
email me at stiflerrox101@aol.com
Why is it collecting dust at your buddies house? Is it in good shape?
Old 01-08-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Looks good man!
Old 01-08-2004, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you on the epoxy thing...that was the only negative I've found with my TSP smoked-clear lid...there was even a run of epoxy on the seam at the exit...thankfully, I was able to polish it off.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Pritty cool to actually see the air filter! Very different look, but
Old 01-09-2004, 02:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Looks alot better. Now you just need to apply some CD2 or other cleaning alternative..
Old 01-09-2004, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TSP makes a good lid. I have their black one and am very happy with it. I'm not understand why swapping the grommet and IAT sensor was so hard for you. I had mine swapped in under 5 minutes.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:34 AM
Chop-Foo Director

I just did a lid switch to, but to a whisper lid. Mine fit great, it was
just so cold out that I couldn't feel my fingers!

It does seem to pull a little bit harder. I don't know whether that
its real or just psychological though.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Every clear lid that I have seen (whatever make) has had epoxy issues. I think its just "the nature of the beast". I've had a TSP black lid since they first came out, and have had no issues whatsoever. Fit and finish are both great.

The clear and smoked clear do look badass though.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the compliments! I like the looks of it too. Lemme see if I can answer all of these:

Yep, the FRA mod was done before the lid/filter actually.

LawmanSS, how did you polish the epoxy?

SSG--Z28, I have been looking for CD2 for a long time... they don't seem to sell it in Northern VA. I need to dress up the engine compartment BAD. It's fairly clean, just not shiny. I'm also going to polish a few metal parts under there and repaint a few plastic parts black that have faded.

BlackWS602, I'm not sure why the IAT was so hard to get out of the stock lid. I had to end up using two screwdrivers as small prybars, and just slowly work the thing back and forth while pulling it out. If I had some penetrating oil to use it would have been easier, but I'm not sure if it would have been good for the sensor.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:17 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Off topic but...

Chili Pepper... I just noticed your headlights are starting to yellow. Is there a cure for that?
Old 01-09-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Chili Pepper
LawmanSS, how did you polish the epoxy?
I used a very mild polish...3M Perfect-it I think...any mild polish should work on hard plastic like headlight covers or these lids. Some companies even make plastic polish. Anyway, I just kept rubbing until it disappeared. There is still a very slight defect where the epoxy was...I couldn't get it all removed because the epoxy, in effect, welds the plastic. The defect isn't at all noticable with the lid installed.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Off topic but...

Chili Pepper... I just noticed your headlights are starting to yellow. Is there a cure for that?
Plastic polish

Quick Reply: TSP clear lid installed (pics)