Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers, catback, or tint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers, catback, or tint?

I can't decide what to do first... should I do some pacesetter ceramic coated headers? A magnaflow catback? Or tint my windows, change the window motors, and install my stereo? The car already has a flowmasters on it and I'm not a fan so I want to change it.

But, another main question is am I able to bolt up headers to my current exhaust without much modification or is that something that would depend on my current exhaust setup?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a tough call. Getting rid of the Flowmaster will probably pick up as much as headers. However, if it was me, I think I would go with Headers/ORY and have a cutout put in it. That would get you by on the exhaust for now until you can get the catback. If you're into the stereo stuff then that may be good for you. I've just never been into it so I wouldn't do that first. haha...

Let me know if you need a set and we'll get you fixed up!

Jon
Old 05-06-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've already got a spreadsheet with you guys on the top of my list for getting the headers . I'm not real big into the stereo stuff, but I do like a little thump every now and again. I just really need to change the window motors and get it tinted.

So, with the flowmasters as they are would I be able to bolt up the headers right to em or do i have to have a certain size tubing for the exhaust?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd vote for headers + ORY.

If you have the Flowmaster cat-back kit (including the intermediate pipe) most long tube headers and the y-pipe will mate up without an issue. I have Hooker LT's + ORY + Flowmaster catback with an electric cutout installed in the i-pipe. Everything fits together perfectly and I can adjust the cutout to change the sound as needed (closed = quiet for long trips, night driving in residential areas, open = flat nasty all out performance mode).
Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

See the problem is I have no idea if I do or not. I bought the car with it on there... I haven't jacked it up or crawled under it enough to know if it does. Plus I'm pretty much a newb at this so I wouldn't know what I'm looking for anyway lol. Any pics or any way I could determine if it does or not? Like are there any tell-tale signs that it's an intermediate pipe?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

If you really need to change out your window motors I would do that honestly. But if your looking to do performance mods first, than I think headers+an ory+ a cut out would be the way to go.

edit: is your i-pipe alumanized or is it stainless? I'm almost positive the stock i-pipe is stainless, and the flowmaster catbacks have an alumanized i-pipe.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Agreed +1 ^^^^^ window is kind of important
Old 05-06-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Headers, ORY, and then a cutout.

Heres what my SS sounds like..

I have Pasesetter LT's, ORY, cutout, and magnaflow catback..

I open the cutout about 25 seconds in
Old 05-06-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll have to climb under there when I get home and check... but I live in an apartment so I can't do major work on it, I have to do it at the gf's parents. The headers would be installed over the weekend there anyway, so I'll have to check soon. The motors will go up and down, but seems like they take a long *** time and don't always seal perfectly, I can often hear air leak in while driving after rolling them down and then up.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
That's a tough call. Getting rid of the Flowmaster will probably pick up as much as headers. However, if it was me, I think I would go with Headers/ORY and have a cutout put in it. That would get you by on the exhaust for now until you can get the catback. If you're into the stereo stuff then that may be good for you. I've just never been into it so I wouldn't do that first. haha...

Let me know if you need a set and we'll get you fixed up!

Jon
Question, you mention getting rid of the Flowmaster Exhaust will pick up as much as headers? What exactly are you saying here? That by making the switch to Magnaflow from Flowmaster his car will gain as much HP as LT's add on?? If so, my Flowmaster is up for sale
Old 05-06-2010, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these newbie threads are nuts, they crack me up...

I think Jon sums it up for the most part...Headers Hands down...
BUT the reason they crack me up is because everyone likes different ****...SOOOOO.... Heres an idea...you should get what YOU want!

I could understand if you were trying to decide what type of headers to get or what catback flows or sounds best...anyways thats My opinion. goodluck
Old 05-06-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id get LTs. but have any repairs done first.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you buy headers, wait til you can buy a Y pipe as well and put it all in at once.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

window motors, and anyting else that's wrong with the car. then move on to upgrades
Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
window motors, and anyting else that's wrong with the car. then move on to upgrades

x2 Maintenance then upgrades. So you want to be fast but not be able to roll down the windows? Cmon
Old 05-09-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, do maintenance first man....I know mods are tempting to do but even better to get the car running perfect again with any problem it may have. That's what I am doing at least.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Teching In

maintenance first, but if you can live with out the tint don't do it. I got a 02 bird all murdered out but stock and a 99 Z28 modded with no tint. The cops never even look at me twice with the 99 but the bird gets me pulled over all the time.