Sponsored by:

Noisy diff

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy diff

Hi,
My diff is howling when I turn at slow speeds. When I turn really slow (going onto my drive) there is a clunking sound and I can actually feel it!

Does anyone have any ideas what it may be?

The car hasn't been driven since June last year. The diff was replaced last year and the gears changed from the stock 2.73 to 3.23's.
The transmission has just been rebuilt, I drove the car home from the shop yesterday but didn't notice anything wrong then.

Any suggestions guys?
Thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like whoever did the gear swap may have messed up when they reinstalled the ring/pinion or the posi unit itself.

I wouldnt drive it anymore for sure until you get a hold of who did the work and see what they have to say. They might not even wanna screw with it b/c its been a year ago but its worth a try.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Thanks Allyn, I guess I'll have to do that.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

could possibly be the posi going out. This doesnt mean they screwed up the gear install. I have seen posi's go out not long after a rebuild when I know the rebuild was done correctly. Could just be bad luck. When a posi gets worn out, they will make abnormal noises, particularily around corners.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if they were used gears, chances are they werent setup right unless whoever had them before you had the pattern on them and the backlash specs, and they were setup exactly how they were taken out.

but it sounds like you have a carrier bearing problem on one side.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses.

Originally Posted by bww3588
if they were used gears, chances are they werent setup right unless whoever had them before you had the pattern on them and the backlash specs, and they were setup exactly how they were taken out.

but it sounds like you have a carrier bearing problem on one side.

They are used gears.

If I take the diff cover off do you think I might be able to tell if a carrier bearing is at fault?

I don't know what backlash is but there were no specs with the gears or posi and the mechanic didn't ask for any.

Last edited by UKFormula; 05-07-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: My comment was mixed in with what I quoted from BWW.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

thats one of thoes things you have to take it apart and inspect it. but some signs you can look for is gauling on the rollers inside the bearing, or metal shavings coming from within the bearing. but its hard to see without taking the main caps off.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Okay, thanks, I'll take a look.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its actually something that is in the tune. This happens to f-bodies a lot when slowing down. Mine did it then I took it back to my tuner to be addressed and it went away.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws6fitz
Its actually something that is in the tune. This happens to f-bodies a lot when slowing down. Mine did it then I took it back to my tuner to be addressed and it went away.
a whine in the rear end is caused by the tune? no....
Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Mine does the exact same thing, and has done so since I bought the car almost 2 years and 35,000 miles ago. Its the stock posi unit and has never been rebuilt, everytime Im turning in a parking lot and not on the gas it clunk, clunk, clunks and makes a rubbing noise, but it always hooks positive. About 6 months ago I put 4.10s in, the carrier bearings looked good but I replaced them anyway along with the pinion bearings. But I added friction modifier and now it does it worse, even when only turning slightly. I really could care less though since evidentally its not too importanat of a problem, I bought a set of drag radials in hopes that I can just go ahead and make it explode so Ill have an excuse to replace it
Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bww3588
a whine in the rear end is caused by the tune? no....
Can be. Seen it on several cars. Its not a whine that he is talking about. It occurs when you are slowing down and its a slight clunking sound. Its a problem in the stock tune that needs to be fixed.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws6fitz
Can be. Seen it on several cars. Its not a whine that he is talking about. It occurs when you are slowing down and its a slight clunking sound. Its a problem in the stock tune that needs to be fixed.
according to him, it whines and clunks when he is turning slowly. not slowing down.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:29 AM
Teching In

That's right, it happens when I'm turning slowly. A whine or howl. If i'm going in a straight line it's as quiet as an ls1 with a stock exhaust (next mod, lol)!
I've not noticed it when I'm slowing down...not sure how a tune could affect the rear...but then this is why I post in the newbie section.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G1V1TUP
Mine does the exact same thing, and has done so since I bought the car almost 2 years and 35,000 miles ago. Its the stock posi unit and has never been rebuilt, everytime Im turning in a parking lot and not on the gas it clunk, clunk, clunks and makes a rubbing noise, but it always hooks positive. About 6 months ago I put 4.10s in, the carrier bearings looked good but I replaced them anyway along with the pinion bearings. But I added friction modifier and now it does it worse, even when only turning slightly. I really could care less though since evidentally its not too importanat of a problem, I bought a set of drag radials in hopes that I can just go ahead and make it explode so Ill have an excuse to replace it
Haha! That does sound exactly like what is happening with me! I could live with it but I'm worried if the rear goes bang it could break the trans again, that's what happened last time on a hard launch, and hurt me for another $3500!
Old 05-08-2010, 03:46 AM

I just had the same problem about 2 weeks ago....and i thought it was a ring/pinion problem.....but it was realy my axel barings...there in-side the rear-end....and it will always almost sound like a carrier bearing......but while your in there just do a whole bearing kit...pinion,carier,head,axel,seals,..do not used i repeat DO NOT USE royal purple,,,its not good on rear-end bearings

should only coast 129..for the bearing kit..comes with axel bearings and seals...abvout 150-200 bucks for install

Last edited by ls1-junky; 05-08-2010 at 03:49 AM. Reason: forgot to add
Old 05-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Yea I noticed alot of wear on my axle bearings when I changed the gear set, but didnt change them. Makes sense that they could be the problem since its still doin it.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Okay so I jacked the car up this morning and checked the wheels for any play. Then I rotated them by hand, jammed one with a brick and then turned the other...everything seemed smooth. So I dropped the car back down and test drove it...no sign of the howling or the clunking!?!
I drove about 15 miles to go and get some oil etc. When I came to leave the noises had started again.
Now I'm no expert but this makes me think that the mechanic may have used the wrong oil in the diff and it stops functioning when it heats up. Does that sound like sense to any of you? Try changing the diff oil..?

Quick Reply: Noisy diff