New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping From L36 to LS1

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping From L36 to LS1

Ok, First off, I would like to say, this is my first post on this forum, I was recommended here by a friend. Ok, Now I am a pretty big noob when it comes to cars, I know how to change oil and things like that, lol. I know what cams are, and exhaust and all that, (I'm not a complete idiot, lol)

Now I have a 98' Firebird with the L36 V6 and I am pretty sure that is has some aftermarket street tuning to it, I'm not sure because I got this car used at a car lot as my graduation gift.

First things first, I want to do an engine swap, (V6 to the LS1). I don't want to go with any other engine other than the fuel injected LS1 just because that is what I prefer, I don't know why, but it is, lol.

I was wondering how hard is it to do this, or if it would just be better for me to take the engine (And no, I don't have it just yet, I'm still trying to find one), and my car to a garage and have them do it for me.

Also, what all parts am I going to have to get to complete the swap, (ecu, wiring harness, exhaust manifold, etc).

And if I do decide to go ahead and do the swap myself, is there a post on here that gives a basic step-by-step as to how to do the swap. Yet again, I am a noob. But if I would go ahead and just do the swap myself, I will be having a friend help me that went to UTI, so it won't be a huge walk in the dark, he just suggested that I try to find a forum to help me out, that way we have an understand as to how to get this done.

Second Question, This just started happening not too long ago, but for some reason, after my rear window defrost starts to heat up, it will start to click on and off, and I'm not sure why. I check the terminals on the windows, check what little wiring I could, pulled out my stereo to see if I knocked anything loose in the back where the button is, and I didn't find anything. And it only happens once it heats up all the way. I just have no idea what else it could be. I'm pretty good with electrical, so if you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks to anyone that helps
Old 05-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

my advice would be buy a car with an ls1 already in it. the ls1 and a tranny to fit it is pretty expensive. you will probably need a new rearend to but not sure.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you buy used it shouldnt be that bad. how much do you have to play with?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

Here's a thread that might help you https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ap-w-pics.html Like the guy above said, it would almost be easier to buy a ls1 car since they have gotten so cheap. Few things you would need would be like k-member, power steering rack, pcm, ls1, tranny, fuel system etc. If you have a wrecked ls1 donor car that would be the easiest way to do it since you could transfer everything over. Look in the conversions forum for v6 to ls1 swap or something like that for some more info.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, if you aren't sure if you can do this swap....just buy an LS1 car and skip the headache.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:01 PM

see though, the issue is that I don't/can't just go out and buy a good car with an LS1 in it, lol. And like I said, I'm not going to be doing this myself, I am going to have a friend helping me that knows how to do this kind of stuff, he just wanted me to get some advice first that way we know what we are getting into, simply because he has never done an LS1 swap before. He did go to UTI for 2 years so he does know what he is doing, lol.

Also, I have a 4speed AT in my car now, would I just be able to use it with the LS1, or do they have different trannys in them, and if they do use the same one, I was planning on building up my tranny before I do the swap, lol.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:03 PM

And another reason I don't want to just buy a car with an LS1 in it, is just because I want to be able to say, Yes I did do an engine swap. And plus I have already done a lot of work to this car.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 PM

One more thing, lol. Its not an issue of finding the engine, I know of a couple of place that sell good engines, and have a couple in stock for a good price, with most, if not, all of the needed components.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

From what I understand, the tranny in the v6 car is still a 4l60e but it requires a different bellhousing when going to a LS1. Look in the conversions forum https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/ lots of good info in there.