Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header install

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header install

I have a 2000 ss camaro. i want to install pacesetter LTs and TSP ory. should i do it myself or is it worth the money to have it done.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Everyone states that if you have the time you owe it to yourself to try. Can take anywhere from around 5 hours to 12... so, you decide. There's tons of awesome walkthroughs out there to follow.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

It depends on your wrenching skill level. Me personally, I'm no certified tech but like to work on my own cars and been doin so for awhile. I did the pacesetter, tsp y, and magnaflow on my own. If your like me and dont own a lift the biggest pain was lifting the car high enough to get the headers in. If I recall the car was around 18 inches off the ground using ramps and jackstands. Other than that the headers fit pretty well. The passenger side went right in. The drivers side was a lil tight due to a little nub from the engine block casting bein in the way. I just put a small dent in the firewall and shoved it in there. Others cut the little tab off the block. You'll see when or if you decide to do it. Also make sure you remove the coil pack brackets and spark plugs to make things a little easier. All in all not that hard to due if you have the time. I took my sweet time with it cleaning parts along the way. It took me a couple days. Could be done in a day as long as it all goes smooth. Probably a few hours if ya got a lift or access to one.

Also you might wanna think about changing motor mounts while your in there.

Good Luck!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it youself if u have the time it is well worth it to save the money.It took me 6 hrs the last time w/ breaks inbetween.Make sure u have good header gaskets and 02 extensions.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite honestly, the headers are not that hard of a project, almost anyone that knows how to turn a wrench should be able to do it.... but it will take you a long time. I would set aside the whole day. Just remember to take breaks because working frustrated and non-stop just leads to failures...
Old 05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would do it yourself. I installed my pacesetters and catted ypipe and then my true duals all in my garage with a floor jack and jack stands. Passenger header slides right in with very little resistance, just get the car high enough. The drivers side took a little bit of work but nothing you can't figure out. Me and my buddy installed my old catted ypipe on our backs. Nothing too it. It comes in pieces for adjustment. Just start up by the headers and work your way towards the rear of the car. Don't tighten anything down until you have the clearance you are looking for. Make sure all the pieces slide on a good bit and clamp it down real good.

Oh and go ahead and get the O2 extension from TSP also. you'll need them.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazard
Everyone states that if you have the time you owe it to yourself to try. Can take anywhere from around 5 hours to 12... so, you decide. There's tons of awesome walkthroughs out there to follow.
Do you know where i can find one? ive looked but havent been able to find one thats in great depth. im mechanically inclined (i do hvac and have been rehabbing houses since i was 10 with my dad) but i dont have the time/money to break something on my car because i didnt know what i was doing while attempting the install...thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unfortunately this is the only guide in the sticky area that still works...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ts-o-pics.html

But I'd just hang around the Gen 3 external engine section and read around. This sticky https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-posting.html will give you some good advice though.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...r-install.html

Couple writeups listed in here too.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Teching In

what do you guys think about mid length headers? Are they worth putting on or just stick with LTs
Old 05-19-2010, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

LTs no dout
Old 05-19-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

stick with LTs and do it yourself, it was the first mod i ever did to any car in my life, also pretty much anything else you put on will be less of a pita lol
Old 05-20-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

+1 on what everyone else says. Its really not that hard, just time consuming. and definatley stick with the LTs
Old 05-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99 z
It depends on your wrenching skill level. Me personally, I'm no certified tech but like to work on my own cars and been doin so for awhile. I did the pacesetter, tsp y, and magnaflow on my own. If your like me and dont own a lift the biggest pain was lifting the car high enough to get the headers in. If I recall the car was around 18 inches off the ground using ramps and jackstands. Other than that the headers fit pretty well. The passenger side went right in. The drivers side was a lil tight due to a little nub from the engine block casting bein in the way. I just put a small dent in the firewall and shoved it in there. Others cut the little tab off the block. You'll see when or if you decide to do it. Also make sure you remove the coil pack brackets and spark plugs to make things a little easier. All in all not that hard to due if you have the time. I took my sweet time with it cleaning parts along the way. It took me a couple days. Could be done in a day as long as it all goes smooth. Probably a few hours if ya got a lift or access to one.

Also you might wanna think about changing motor mounts while your in there.

Good Luck!

+1 on having to have alot of clearance for the headers. We had the jack stands all the way up, and had to put concrete slabs under the jackstands to raise it even higher to make it fit lol. But if you have the time and patience it's pretty straight forward. Steering column may be your only obstacle.