New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plug question

Old 05-21-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug question

i just installed me headers and y pipe and changed the plugs and wires also. i just put in some new NGK plugs. I just tightened them snug. what happens if they are too loose/tight? im sure im just being paranoid, but my dad had his plugs shoot out of his work truck right after getting them changed (in an aluminum block). is there a way to tell when car is idleing or what are some signs that something may be wrong? it will be hooked up to a lap top while i turn it on the first time so hopefully that will read if there are any misfires etc. but anything else i should be looking out for? Im new to working on my own cars...so this is an extremely noob question. but i figure better to look like a noob and save my engine than not ask and harm it and spend money doing repairs
Old 05-21-2010, 10:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I recall correctly, the torque spec is 10-15ftlbs....so it's not alot of torque at all! It doesn't take much!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
If I recall correctly, the torque spec is 10-15ftlbs....so it's not alot of torque at all! It doesn't take much!

Yep, right on the money. The official torque spec is 15ft-lbs (for a brand new cylinder head that's never had plugs installed), and 11ft-lbs for replacement plugs.

The official torque spec on the oil drain plug is 18ft-lbs, so if you're used to the feel of a properly tightened drain plug, just remember that the spark plug should be a little less than that.

Honestly, I've never once used a torque wrench on a spark plug. It's not a critical measurement like head bolts or something, just don't go wild with tightening and you'll be fine.

Search this Thread