Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which tb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which tb?

okay i put this in nubie tech because i feel like its not a complicated question and it will possible help some newbies in their quest when they start modding for themselves.
my quesion to all of you is....right now i am runnin an ls6 intake, patriot stage 2 heads, an si5 cam which is 231/237 59x/5xx on a 112 , slp tuned length headsers and an x pipe.....well i only have like 300 bucks more i can spend and being as i have a stock tb and maf i figured that would be a good place to start. Im going to be going with a fast/fast but its gonna be a couple years so for in the mean time....i get somethin set up so i didnt have to be running the stock tb...so i thought about having mine ported by my buddy...then i kinda figured, my car is kind of collector and i still have all the stock parts so i was thinking it may be a bad idea to permanantly change any part of the car...hey maybe it would be smarted if i baught one of those cheap stock ported tb or whatever...so right no after looking my choices are.....port my stock tb(free) .................................................. ..................go with 1 of about 3 choices of 80mm tb's and prices are 88,95,99 bucks a peace, those are all 80mm and i would hand port after buying those....and option 3...a tad outta my pricerange, but i can afford it.... i was considering the trick flow 80 mm tb...275 bucks......i would love some ideas as to whether i should just port my tb because nobody will notice....possibly step it up to an 80 mm and have the option of porting that....or the trick flow looks pretty clean and thats 275.....what would you guys do and why? thanks in advance
Old 05-22-2010, 08:15 AM
12 Second Club

I would get the trick flow and call it good. But if you wanna save then def port the stock but me personally would buy a new one.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NAAllTheWay
okay i put this in nubie tech because i feel like its not a complicated question and it will possible help some newbies in their quest when they start modding for themselves.
my quesion to all of you is....right now i am runnin an ls6 intake, patriot stage 2 heads, an si5 cam which is 231/237 59x/5xx on a 112 , slp tuned length headsers and an x pipe.....well i only have like 300 bucks more i can spend and being as i have a stock tb and maf i figured that would be a good place to start. Im going to be going with a fast/fast but its gonna be a couple years so for in the mean time....i get somethin set up so i didnt have to be running the stock tb...so i thought about having mine ported by my buddy...then i kinda figured, my car is kind of collector and i still have all the stock parts so i was thinking it may be a bad idea to permanantly change any part of the car...hey maybe it would be smarted if i baught one of those cheap stock ported tb or whatever...so right no after looking my choices are.....port my stock tb(free) .................................................. ..................go with 1 of about 3 choices of 80mm tb's and prices are 88,95,99 bucks a peace, those are all 80mm and i would hand port after buying those....and option 3...a tad outta my pricerange, but i can afford it.... i was considering the trick flow 80 mm tb...275 bucks......i would love some ideas as to whether i should just port my tb because nobody will notice....possibly step it up to an 80 mm and have the option of porting that....or the trick flow looks pretty clean and thats 275.....what would you guys do and why? thanks in advance

What size is a stock TB anyway?
Old 05-22-2010, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by projectX
What size is a stock TB anyway?
75mm. Just port & polish your stocker or buy another stocker and do it. You can find them for about $50.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue98Z
75mm. Just port & polish your stocker or buy another stocker and do it. You can find them for about $50.

okay cool. But if I bought an 80-85mm wouldnt I have to get it tuned for the computer to register? Same with Maf?
Old 05-23-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by projectX
okay cool. But if I bought an 80-85mm wouldnt I have to get it tuned for the computer to register? Same with Maf?
You can run a slightly bigger TB and the computer can make up for it just fine. A MAF will require a tune to reset the MAF tables but is a waste if you will still have the smaller TB and lid restrictions.

My advice is to run a ported stocker until you can afford the FAST setup....