New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Gen III engine would be best for our CJ7 & International Scout?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Gen III engine would be best for our CJ7 & International Scout?

My father and I are both looking to swap Gen III engines into our 4x4's. He has a 1975 CJ7 and I have a 1980 International Scout 2. Though my mechanical skills are mediocre at best he's been a mechanic/welder/fabricator for 30+ years and has many hybrid swaps under his belt. We're both looking to gain the same thing from our engine swaps: good gas mileage (20mpg), moderately high reliable horsepower/torque (300-350), good cold start behavior, and all the other benefits that come along with a modern fuel injected vehicle. We were originally planning on both using LS1's but after doing a bit of research it looks like there are other engine options available that are considerably less expensive and may yield similar if not better results for our application. Both of these vehicles will be used on the road about 80% of the time. He's planning on taking the Jeep in the woods and mud quite a bit, while I prefer the sand. I'd love to hear your suggestions about the pro's and con's of each option.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I now realize I've posted this in the wrong section, can a mod please move it so I can get some feedback?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A used LQ4 would be nice and are cheap but if you want fuel economy + affordable look at a LM7 (5.3). It is what came in my Z71 and has 285hp stock and I get 18mpg hiway on oversize 285/75/16 mud tires. I could scare 20mpg on stock tires.

Quick Reply: Which Gen III engine would be best for our CJ7 & International Scout?