Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catback install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catback install question

I am getting ready to install my hooker catback tomorrow. I only have 2 jackstands on hand right now. My question is: would it be a problem to install the catback with just lifting the backend on stands, or should I definitely put both ends up? I will probably get the extra stands for future use anyway, but I just wanted to get some input. Also, will I need anything else besides basic hand tools and some penetrating oil? Thanks.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I've installed at least a dozen catbacks on these cars with no jack stands at all; just having the cars backed up on ramps.

Do you plan to remove the stock catback in one piece? If so, you'll have to partially drop the rear to swing the over-the-axle pipe out. Or, if you plan to just cut the pipe, you'll need some sort of hack saw. This can be done by hand, but it's much easier to use a Sawzall.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I've installed at least a dozen catbacks on these cars with no jack stands at all; just having the cars backed up on ramps.

Do you plan to remove the stock catback in one piece? If so, you'll have to partially drop the rear to swing the over-the-axle pipe out. Or, if you plan to just cut the pipe, you'll need some sort of hack saw. This can be done by hand, but it's much easier to use a Sawzall.
I was planning on cutting the pipe with a hacksaw. I don't have any ramps so I was just gonna put the back on stands.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Teching In

That's all i used was two jack stands for the back and just slid under there, unbolting the stock pipe was a PITA, and i just cut the pipe and threw caution in the wind. I believe it was 15mm for the clamps and there was a 12mm needed for the passenger side hanger, other than that i think your good

take your time and do it right
Old 05-27-2010, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rhauwen
That's all i used was two jack stands for the back and just slid under there, unbolting the stock pipe was a PITA, and i just cut the pipe and threw caution in the wind. I believe it was 15mm for the clamps and there was a 12mm needed for the passenger side hanger, other than that i think your good

take your time and do it right
Yeah, even though it is a basic install I have plenty of time set aside to make sure it is done right. The only thing I see possibly being an issue is getting the I-pipe off if it is rusted to the Y. The only solution to that I have is a block of wood, a hammer, and cussing
Old 05-28-2010, 02:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Make sure you soak everything in penetrating oil 24hrs before you start. Summit has a tool for separating slip-fit exhaust parts, but after you cut over the axle everything will come out in two pieces. An impact would be pretty helpful on those rusty nuts...
Old 05-28-2010, 03:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah using 2 jackstands under the rear of the car will work just fine. Just make sure you chalk the wheels and make sure it is supported well before climbing under it! Does matter how good it sounds if you're not around to hear it!

Jon
Old 05-28-2010, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Alright, the catback is on. I was able to do the install with just 2 jackstands, but I eventually had a neighbor lend me another set halfway through the install to get some
extra clearance with the I-pipe. I didn't have the chance to soak everything with penetrating oil the day before, but used plenty of pb blaster during the install.

A few notes form my personal experience:

-I had to make two cuts total. I only had a hacksaw so this was a pain, but if you pick the spots correctly, it only took 5-10 minutes per cut by hand.

-Like most jobs, there is always something that is harder than expected and something that is easier. For me, the nut on the clamp for the I-pipe was badly rusted, and I had to use a breaker bar, and later a ratchet with a 3 foot piece of 3/4 pipe on it aimed toward the back of the car to get enough torque on it. It was also tac welded to the pipe. As for the easier part, the I pipe slipped off without a whole bunch of trouble, just PB blaster, a hammer and working it out.

I took most of the afternoon to do the job, including breaks and a trip to the parts store because the included clamps were the incorrect size. It was slow going, but a good experience for a new LS1 owner. Now I'm comfortable with jacking points, and alot more familiar with where everything is.

As for the catback, I like the sound, but was hoping it would be a little louder. I wasn't surprised at this, though, because I didn't want a louder set up at this point. Fitment was decent, but the tips needed to be hammered to slip on, and the included clamps were off. Overall I am happy with it, I can feel some extra power, but I am hoping that it gets a hair louder with time. For being a daily driver, it is just right, though.

Last edited by StreetLethal; 05-29-2010 at 10:59 AM.