Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air filter and Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filter and Transmission question

I bought this car and have been working through a couple of things on it and here are my next items on the list. I searched the threads on the air filter and did not find much. Here is my dilemma. It has a NASTY k&n air filter on it. Stuff caked in it. Do I need to get a filter cleaning kit and rejuvinate this one or go with a plain paper filter? I had heard through word of mouth that the LS engines didn't like K&N filters anyway.
I am going to do the transmission filter and fluid change. Any opinions on going with synthetic? I was also contemplating installing a shift kit. With 140000 on the odometer do I need to worry about the shift kit or just wait until I have trans trouble and do it then. I heard it could extend the life of the trans, but sometimes I know it is best to leave well enough alone. I was also wondering if these kits could be installed by a do it yourselfer. I have installed them in TH350 and TH400, but not any of these electronic trannys.
As usual Thanks for the advice and input.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:51 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jasoncway
I bought this car and have been working through a couple of things on it and here are my next items on the list. I searched the threads on the air filter and did not find much. Here is my dilemma. It has a NASTY k&n air filter on it. Stuff caked in it. Do I need to get a filter cleaning kit and rejuvinate this one or go with a plain paper filter? I had heard through word of mouth that the LS engines didn't like K&N filters anyway.
I am going to do the transmission filter and fluid change. Any opinions on going with synthetic? I was also contemplating installing a shift kit. With 140000 on the odometer do I need to worry about the shift kit or just wait until I have trans trouble and do it then. I heard it could extend the life of the trans, but sometimes I know it is best to leave well enough alone. I was also wondering if these kits could be installed by a do it yourselfer. I have installed them in TH350 and TH400, but not any of these electronic trannys.
As usual Thanks for the advice and input.
Paper air filter is pretty much the best for an LS1. It's such a short, straight shot to the maf to use a K&N. You'll end up with excess oil on it no matter what really.

I'm not sure about adding a shift kit on a higher mileage trans, but you are correct that they can extend the life of the friction material due to the elimination of the stock slippage. Granted who knows how much is left in it anyway?!

If you've done a shift kit before it shouldn't be too much different. The electronic part really only effects the housing and such. Once inside a 4L60e is practically the same as a 700r4 if I remember correctly.

:edit:

I did some research and a 4l60e is a 700r4 just electronic controlled instead of vacuum. Not sure if they relate well to the TH350-400, but I hope this at least helps.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put in a paper air filter.

I've also installed a few shift kits in TH350's, but not sure what's involved in these electronic autos. Tuning the trans with software with improve it's performance though.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I'd ditch the K&N and stick with paper for an LS1, for the reason already posted:

Originally Posted by justin455
Paper air filter is pretty much the best for an LS1. It's such a short, straight shot to the maf to use a K&N. You'll end up with excess oil on it no matter what really.
As for the trans questions, I would never put synthetic fluid in a 4L60E. Too many trans builders have advised me over the years to NOT do that.

At 140k (assuming it's still the stock trans), I probably wouldn't waste my time modding that trans without rebuilding it. It's at a mileage where I would expect it to need a rebuild very soon.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I wish I read up on the site before cleaning/re oiling my K&N filter today. I read some posts saying it was no good for the car but I thought it was just a useless mod (no hp gain) and I thought since the previous owner put it-no biggie I'll just clean it.

I didn't know it could damage the MAF sensor like that. I was going to clean the MAF next. I drove it maybe 5 miles in the city, never over 35 mph. My car should be ok if I don't drive it until I get the paper filter? It it's not one thing it's another *sigh*
Old 06-11-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, its ok. It doesn't matter if you have a paper filter or a K&N, either one is fine. As stated above a K&N filter isn't for performance. My brother lives in a very dusty area and has a cold air intake. Because of the intake, his filter gets very filthy within a few weeks of cleaning it. Because of this, the K&N works for him because he can clean it instead of getting a new paper air filter every two weeks.

Both my brother and I have K&N filters, our mafs are spotless. The trouble people run into is when they over oil the air filter. You just have to spray it very lightly, but enough to where all surfaces of the filter are covered to help filter out dust. As you can guess from that discription, the majority of people who buy airfilters can't figure out this method and end up either not putting enough oil, or over oiling it and having oil end up on the maf. It's a slippery slope, and in most cases the average joe cannot figure out how to oil it right, hence all the people with dirty mafs. Another thing is people don't know to let it dry for a little bit as well. After spraying on the oil, you need to let the filter sit and absorb the oil into the fibers. Most people get really anxious and immediatley install the filter and go driving because they can't wait. Another reason oil can get sucked on the maf.

If you feel as though you won't be able to figure out how much oil to put on the filter, go with a paper one so you don't have to fret about it. Again, its completely fine that you have a K&N filter, you didn't make some fatal mistake. It won't "Damage" your Maf like you state, worse case you completely soaked the filter in oil and a little oil may get on your maf, which you can just clean off. No biggie.