Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by
Improved Racing

head and cam on 98 trans am

Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Teching In

Trader Rating: 0
Default head and cam on 98 trans am

I have a 98 trans am with slp loudmouth1, bassani y pipe, bbk shorties, bbk 85mm TB, SLP Lid and mass air flow sensor, ls6 intake manifold, and 3.73's. Im looking for a good head and cam package that is good on the street. Im looking at getting ls6 2.5 heads from tsp and the torquer v3 cam. Along with that ill be getting a ls6 ported oil pump a ls2 timing chain, and a 3300 stall. Is this a good setup for my trans am? Im open to any sugestions. Thanks!!!
bornoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
TECH Addict

Trader Rating: 6

You'll be choking that heads/cam setup through those shorties, Id concentrate on getting some LT's first. Good choice though on the heads/cam . I was looking at those heads w/ a 224 cam.

Forged LY5 / s480-96mm-1.10 a/r / Custom Kit / Evil Performance Z06 Heads / 60mm JGS Bov & Wg / Tick 217/225 .638"/.621" 113+5 / Typhoon Intake & TB / Moser 12 Bolt/3.42's / Built Trans. / Fuddle 3600 / Full Susp. / Aquamist Meth. / 80#'s
MonmouthCtyLS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
FormerVendor

Trader Rating: 18

I think it's a good combo as well but the BBK headers will be fairly restrictive on that aggressive of a combo. We would probably do a little smaller custom grind if you are looking to keep them or if you want to go to a LT header pretty quick you can get by with this combo until you get them. You just won't see the full potential of what this heads/cam combo will produce.

Jon
Jon@Texas-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed View Post
I think it's a good combo as well but the BBK headers will be fairly restrictive on that aggressive of a combo. We would probably do a little smaller custom grind if you are looking to keep them or if you want to go to a LT header pretty quick you can get by with this combo until you get them. You just won't see the full potential of what this heads/cam combo will produce.

Jon
Jon,
I talked to just a couple of days ago. I called you from afghanastan. I will be talking to you in person before to long. I leave this country in a few days and should be in amarillo in a month or so. I really want this set up. So ill probably have you throw on a set of longtubes when i get the rest of this stuff on. Thanks for the advice.....If you can think of anything else I would appriciate it. Thanks!!!!! Noel
Old 06-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7 View Post
You'll be choking that heads/cam setup through those shorties, Id concentrate on getting some LT's first. Good choice though on the heads/cam . I was looking at those heads w/ a 224 cam.
Thanks for the advice. I bought those shorties before I even thought about doing head and cam package. Im going to get some longtubes at the time of the install. What kind of rear wheel hp do you think i would be looking at? Thanks!!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
12 Second Club

380 to 400 rwhp with mentioned setup.

WS6. To A Bug, It's A 500 Horsepower Blender.
cowboysfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement