Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Lifters with new Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Lifters with new Cam?

Are new lifters needed if doing a cam swap? Seems like they should be but most of what i have read sounds like they are just held out of the way during the cam install and reused.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

I'm no expert, but I would say yes you should replace lifters. Also if you are going to be installing a cam that is anything but stock, I would replace vavle springs and pushrods too.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not a must. Obviously it is nice to change them but being that you have to pull the heads to swap them, most guys reuse the factory lifters when doing cam swaps. Typically you won't ever see an issue with doing this. A lot depends on mileage and how the cam looks when it is pulled out. But to answer your question, you don't have to change them if you don't want to.

Jon
Old 06-17-2010, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99 z
I would replace vavle springs and pushrods too.
i was looking around at cam packages which those are all included from what ive seen but they didnt come with lifters. Thats part of the reason i am asking about the lifters.

It's not a must. Obviously it is nice to change them but being that you have to pull the heads to swap them, most guys reuse the factory lifters when doing cam swaps. Typically you won't ever see an issue with doing this. A lot depends on mileage and how the cam looks when it is pulled out. But to answer your question, you don't have to change them if you don't want to.
thanks jon! ive got 59k on the odometer. provided the cam looks good do you think the lifters will be ok? I wasnt thinking anything too aggressive because its my daily driver.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

oh ok your probably good to go. the reason I recomended new lifters is because if I was doing it I would prefer two brand spankin new surfaces to contact eachother. Thats all. If texas speed says its ok, I would trust them. just make sure that the old cam has no serious marks on the lobes and such. Which I'm sure it doesnt. You have a low milage car.

Good luck with the install.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roller cams & lifters dont wear into each other like the old chevy cams do so u dont need to change the lifters unless there is a problem w/them.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99 z
If texas speed says its ok, I would trust them.

Good to know. . .

What is the most radical cam you can recomend when using stock lifters?

Hmmmmm, I might need me a cam

Quick Reply: New Lifters with new Cam?