Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your expertise

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need your expertise

I have a 2000 WS6. I just bought a 2007 6.0 out of a Denali, complete. I would like to make 440-485 HP(or close to). I want to keep the idle as even as possible. I have been told I can do this with just a cam and valve springs. Is this true?? If so, which ones would be the best? Should I change
anything else, oil pump, pushrods? I really don't want to spend a ton if possible.
Just not a motor guy!
Thanks for your help, Scott
Old 07-01-2010, 03:09 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Isn't that motor something like 360-370hp stock? If so, you can forget about 440-485hp with a simple cam swap. You'd need a heads/cam package, and properly matched valvetrain. Also some LT headers.

Any aftermarket cam will cause deterioration in idle quality. By increasing valve overlap (time during which the intake and exhaust valves are both open), there is a less complete burn of the air/fuel mixture and a loss of engine vacuum at idle. This overlap increase and longer duration, combined with higher valve lift result in a modest-to-massive (depending on how aggressive the cam is) increase in performance at higher rpms. The trade-off is a decrease in idle efficiency and thus idle quality decay, though much of that can be compensated for with custom tuning. However, everyone has a different tolerance for driveablity issues, so what one person calls "stock like idle quality" may mean something very different to another.

If you want a perfect idle, stick to a stock or very small aftermarket cam and consider other means to increase power; such has head work and possibily a power adder (blower, turbo, N2O - of course, these present their own respective challenges).

Quick Reply: Need your expertise