New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy here

Old 07-02-2010, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here

Whats up guys. Just picked up an 01 Trans Am. I previously had a 96 WS6 that I sold a few years ago. Regretted it ever since.

Started to get the bug for another Trans Am a few months ago, and looked around, hoping to find a low mileage WS6 that wouldn't break the bank. All the WS6's I found were either 100k+ miles with guys wanting 15k for or really low mile cars that were selling for 20-25k. Not really what I was wanting to spend on a car 8-10 years old. I finally found a 99 with 60k miles for sale at $9000, but it was trashed. I met the guy, drove the car, and it was beat to hell. Couldn't even get it into third without it grinding, clutch stuck to the floor once and I had to reach down and pull it up, at a busy intersection no less, and the interior was trashed.

Almost gave up when a friend sent me a link for a 01 on Ebay. It was 9 hours away from me and I was skeptical, but the pictures looked good, so I flew out there (my sister goes to school out there), car was nice, and I picked it up for $9000. Has 85k miles, but it is in immaculate shape. Interior is nearly perfect. Paint is in great condition for the age. It's not a WS6 like I had hoped for but it has a lot of goodies.

SLP long tubes, GM Hot cam, LS6 lifters, B&M shifter, cold air kit, 17x9 and 18x11 chrome wheels, etc etc.

I'm not up to par on LS1 HP numbers, but any ballpark on how much HP the headers and cam add? Motor is godly compared to my LT1. Runs really strong, definitely wasn't driven to s***. I can't wait to get it on a dyno. Haven't gone into it good yet, its been awhile since I've driven a car with that kinda power so I'm not going to goof off in it yet. Doubt I am going to drive it anywhere close to as hard as I pushed my last TA. Older=no need to be crazy anymore.

Anyone know of a good shop in Houston? It seems that MTI is now gone? They did a lot of work on my LT1, so I trusted them, but I guess I need to find somewhere else.

First thing tomorrow have to get some new tires on the back. Rain+drag radials is not fun. It took me about 7.5 hours to get from Dallas to Houston. Just hit the back roads and took it REALLY easy. Radials still have prob 80% of the tread but even though I don't plan on driving this daily or in the rain ever, if I ever had to, like today, I'd like to not have my butt clenched throughout the drive. Before the rain the drive between Lubbock and Dallas was awesome, I've missed getting 30mpg on the highway with 320+ HP under the hood.

Anyways guys wanted to say whats up, I knew of this site, but was never a member. I'm assuming whoever had this car before the last owner was an LS1tech guy, because there are two stickers on the back glass. Glad to finally take the plunge on an LS1.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

have fun. its only just starting. a nice cam with a full bolt on an m6 after a tune can get you 380-400hp. ive driven my SS with nittos when its raining with no problems.

im sure theres a few shops in your area.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

98-02 T/A's look sooooo much nicer
Old 07-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

The search tab at the top is now ur new best friend..
Old 07-06-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Theres a ton of shops in texas...im sure u can find somewhere somewhat close.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to the site. Glad you found a great car at a great price. Patience always pays off!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Umm, I think I test drove that exact car today, the one you side was beat to hell..lol. What did it look like?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by kolton8691kj
Umm, I think I test drove that exact car today, the one you side was beat to hell..lol. What did it look like?
Dark blue, lowered, ground 3rd non stop, dirty as hell inside.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
have fun. its only just starting. a nice cam with a full bolt on an m6 after a tune can get you 380-400hp. ive driven my SS with nittos when its raining with no problems.

im sure theres a few shops in your area.

I think that's being a bit generous on the numbers. Don't get his hopes up.

OP, if you're looking for a shop to set you up, I would look in the Texas Section for advice on a shop near Houston.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 PM

I found the guy who had this car before on this website. He doesn't post here anymore, his website is no longer up, but I read his posts, and he said it put 354 rwhp down. There are still some bolt on things I can do, and I am considering put heads if I can find a decent head set up for the cam it has.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post up pics of it and congrats and welcome to the site

Search this Thread