New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's invloved in a tune

Old 07-03-2010, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's invloved in a tune

What do people mean when they say get a tune? Is it a case of plugging into the computer and changing a few things whilst on a dyno?
Old 07-03-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

air fuel ratio is adjusted. its so you can get the most power out of your modifications. it also measures power and torque.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a huge difference between a tune and a TUNE!! Find a guy who has a good reputation, not going to be the cheapest probably!! I have had my car tuned 3 times in a year due to adding more mod's then I thought I would. First one sucked, second one was pretty good I thought. Third one was with another guy and it was freaking amazing the difference in how my car acted!!
It drives like stock almost!! Which is amazing because when you start caming and heading and boring and PP'ing **** is just different! My car is so much more fun to drive now!! Hell it doesn't even want to die at stop lights anymore and I thought that was the norm with the first two :>) At least so I was told by the tuner!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
air fuel ratio is adjusted. its so you can get the most power out of your modifications. it also measures power and torque.
There's a lot more to it than that, which I'm sure you know...particularly if there is a transmission calibration done (automatic trans).
Old 07-05-2010, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

I dunno if theres anyone in London that could do a proper tune, at the minute it just feels really unwilling to rev, whats a mail order tune?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Richuk
I dunno if theres anyone in London that could do a proper tune, at the minute it just feels really unwilling to rev, whats a mail order tune?
Unwilling to rev in neutral or under acceleration? Is it stock or modded?

A mail order tune is when you send in your pcm and you get one back that has been calibrated to your modifications. It's more of a ballpark figure.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Under acceleration, It has a Ported and polished MAF Slp flopac and slp loud mouth 2 cat back, I'm using Shell V-POWER petrol which is 99 RON could that be the problem? it's meant to be the best you can get so i dunno
Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is fuel leaded over there? These motors are meant to run on unleaded fuel. I guess it is possible that the MAF was damaged when it was being ported, that could account for the loss in power. The weird thing is something like that should set off an SES light, though.

Search this Thread