New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How strict are dealers regarding mods when doing warranty work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How strict are dealers regarding mods when doing warranty work?

A few months back I had my driver's side cat go bad and had it replaced under the extended warranty at the local dealer. Since then I installed a lid and catback. Well now I got the SES light for the passenger side cat going bad. It's still under its extended warranty. Obviously the mods have nothing to do with the cat, but should I expect trouble from the dealer this time?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Teching In

It depends on if they want to bust your stones. If the extended warranty is through the dealer, they might try to say it wont be covered being that its them who will be eating it. If the warranty is through a separate company, then the dealer shouldnt make a big deal about because they will be getting paid for the job regardless of mods. Like i said, depends on if your car gets looked at after or before lunch. If I had to put money on it, Id say you will be alright. The lid wont alter A/F ratios noticeable enough to cause a cat to go bad and the catback is post cat, so has little effect on them. Good luck
Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TurboPoodle
It depends on if they want to bust your stones. If the extended warranty is through the dealer, they might try to say it wont be covered being that its them who will be eating it. If the warranty is through a separate company, then the dealer shouldnt make a big deal about because they will be getting paid for the job regardless of mods. Like i said, depends on if your car gets looked at after or before lunch. If I had to put money on it, Id say you will be alright. The lid wont alter A/F ratios noticeable enough to cause a cat to go bad and the catback is post cat, so has little effect on them. Good luck
The warrantly on the cats is normally 8 years/80k, but there was a special service bulletin put out extending it to 10 years/120k. I brought in some paperwork for it and the dealer covered it last time after some slight hesitation(I was bone stock). I'll have to see what happens this time, the dealer is gonna be the one eating the cost.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

magnuson moss act......they cant void a warranty unless the failed part is a direct effect of something you did to the car. In your case the dealer has a legitimate claim to deny your cat because of the exhaust work(even though its not the reason)....in other words they cant not fix your blown rear end because you put a radio in the car, but they could deny your claim if all the speakers blew.

some dealers will still do work if its modded, some wont its hit or miss.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

What kind of catback did you install? on my old T/A I had a lid and a SLP LM catback and it would randomly throw a code for a bad cat every now and then. The only thing I could think of was the intake and exhaust were so free flowing that ever now and then the rear 02s couldnt keep up and it threw a code. Funny b/c after I put the car back to stock the code never came back and it had the same cats on it.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dealers are alot more of a PITA then they used to be. GM doesnt want to pay claims they dont have to.

you might have to fight with them.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetLethal
The warrantly on the cats is normally 8 years/80k, but there was a special service bulletin put out extending it to 10 years/120k. I brought in some paperwork for it and the dealer covered it last time after some slight hesitation(I was bone stock). I'll have to see what happens this time, the dealer is gonna be the one eating the cost.
This is an extension of the factory emissions warranty. The dealer will not be eating the cost, GM will be.

Just how much trouble you have in terms of mods will all depend on the dealer, as others have said. A catback should not effect this claim, but some dealers might be a pain.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just ask the dealer... i've had dealerships warranty cars with thousands of dollars of mods to them and dealerships that turn down warranties over simple stupid stuff. Become friends with the service guy, explain what you're doing and as long as its not crazy stuff, they'll probably let it slide, but the only way to know is to ask the dealer you're taking the car to.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If they deny fixing your bad cat over a Catback and a lid, that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is an extension of the factory emissions warranty. The dealer will not be eating the cost, GM will be.

Just how much trouble you have in terms of mods will all depend on the dealer, as others have said. A catback should not effect this claim, but some dealers might be a pain.

Thanks, that's good to know. Hopefully they won't give me a hard time, then.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
What kind of catback did you install? on my old T/A I had a lid and a SLP LM catback and it would randomly throw a code for a bad cat every now and then. The only thing I could think of was the intake and exhaust were so free flowing that ever now and then the rear 02s couldnt keep up and it threw a code. Funny b/c after I put the car back to stock the code never came back and it had the same cats on it.
It's a hooker catback. It isn't very loud, so they might not take much notice. The pipes are clearly newer than the rest, though. Considering that I got this code P0430 on bank 1 before and they fixed it, I highly doubt the catback could have caused it.