New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody change an oil pump on 2006 4.8 ??

Old 07-11-2010, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody change an oil pump on 2006 4.8 ??

I know it's not a real LS 1 or a Camaro or T/A but I am in desperate need of help. I have a 2006 Chevy Express 2500 van with the 4.8 in it, it has apprx. 120,000 miles. Ever since he (my brother-in-law) bought the van (at apprx. 90,000 miles)his oil pressure has been somewhat erratic and now we can hear a slight tapping which sounds like the lifters are being slightly starved. Is this a common problem on these vans ?? If so what's the general fix ?? We feel an oil pump replacement with an upgraded pump (we would like to use Melling's #10296) might solve the problem or band aid the situation until we absolutely need a replacement or rebuild. Also where's the oil pump on these ?? It looks like it is attached to the front of the engine block and is driven off the the cam or crank. How do you replace one ?? I'm sure I can figure it out but I don't have the van here and want to make all the right preparations to do the job (ie. gaskets sets, etc.). Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-11-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Replacement is just like any other LS-based engine. Its on the front of the crank and you have to pull the crank pulley and lower the oil pan to get to it. There's also an o-ring that goes around the pick-up tube that bolts to the pump that is notorious for causing problems, but most of the time that is after trying to re-use it.

The o-ring should never be reused and is a dealer only part, but its less than $5 and you want the red one. Look through this write up to give you an idea on how to go about removing the pump.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:18 AM

Anything else I should put together to do this ?? Gaskets sets etc. ?? I appreciate everything, thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody change an oil pump on 2006 4.8 ??