Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

illinois emissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default illinois emissions

I was just reading a thread about the ls6 intake and loosing the EGR. I was told that as long as I get a tune and remove the code I will still be able to pass emissions.

This actually started making me think more about emissions. What would make me not pass emissions? Cam? Heads? LT's? I'm going to have cats on my exhaust with a cutout pre cat. Will pulling up to the emissions place in a camming LS1 set off alarms to them and make them go over my car harder?

Thanks for the responses ahead of time.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

In IL, we only have emissions testing for '96+ cars. Furthermore, the only testing that is done is OBD scan testing. There is NO sniff test, and NO visual. What this means to you: So long as you have proper PCM tuning, you can pass with an unlimited amount of mods. I went through with my cammed/header/ORY Trans Am with zero issues. Passed in a matter of seconds and nobody said a word about the noise or the excessive exhaust fumes. I have also known many others to pass with cams and no cats. They don't look, they don't care; just so long as your tuning is done right you'll pass without issues.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Teching In

I have a 2001 grand prix gtp with a 3in dp and no cat with a rear O2 sim. I passed fine. I was just afraid of the cam i want to put in my ls1. I know they didn't look under my car or do the snif test. Just didnt know if the cam and loud exhaust would make them want to do that. Or if they could do extensive testing because of it. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Super easy. If you are 96 or above you just cant have a CEL and you passed. A friend passed with an open dump on his SRT4.

Or if you really cant pass show proof that you and your car are in downstate illinois and they will make you exempt for the test for a set amount of time.