Sponsored by:

purchasing an ls1

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purchasing an ls1

Hello,
I'm looking at finally switching over from the lt1 scene to the ls1 scene. The car i'm looking at getting is a 2002 T/A with 47,000 miles on it. I have a few concerns about the car. The motor in the car is by no means stock. However, the supsension is. It has heads/cam package and produces 440rwhp. My first concern is will the stock rear and drive shaft handle the horsepower? I'm not gonna be beating on the car but i'm just wondering what you guys think. Also, it has the stock clutch in it. How much longer do you think the clutch will last? I would imagine it would be more prone to wear faster with the amount of power the engine produces. Don't these cars normally need a race built tranny and clutch with that kind of power? The car also has headers with a 3" offroad ypipe, this is my next concern. I will definitely need a emissions legal exhaust system. What are my options as far as adding a catalytic converter? Do they make ypipes with the cats built in and ready to bolt up? What expense am I looking at for one? Will I need to have one fabricated at an exhaust shop?
Old 07-25-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Just get a 9" rear and a good clutch and you'll be good! As for the emissions stuff, maybe you should post up in the Eastern section and ask the PA guys what you can and can't get away with. No sense in spending money if you don't have to.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

what kind of headers? maybe they offer a ypipe with high flow cats.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Emissions all depend on the PA's standards. What kind of internal mods does the car have? I doubt it's making 440 rwhp on bolt ons. That may be something else to worry about when it comes to smog.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Teching In

It has hooker LT's on it. Any idea on what cat might work with them? They are ****** about emissions so i'm definitely going to need them. It has a heads/cam package as well as bolt-on's
Old 07-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

get the rear 02's deleted and air/egr depending if it is removed or not. The car will pass the obd2 emissions test then just find someone who will ignore the fact that theyre gone