New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which headers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which headers?

I have a 2005 Corvette 6 speed with NPP exhaust, otherwise stock. I'm considering a set of headers. I don't expect any track use, just touring and street, maybe the odd auto cross. With these criteria, what headers would the annointed suggest?

Also, what's the practical difference between 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" headers (yes, I know the 1/8" tube size). But what actual difference is there in performance, driveability, and so on?

Thanks for your help.

Bill
Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What other mods do you plan on doing to the car. More than likely is you aren't going real aggressive w/ the heads/cam or stroker, a 1 3/4" header will do the trick. From there decide if you want stainless or a mild steel header. If you want stainless, I would go Kook's or ARH. We offer a mild steel header that is ceramic coated if you want to go that route and save a few bucks. Performance is basically the same, just a different material. Other than that, decide if you want cats or no cats and you will be set! Let me know if you have any other questions and we'll get you fixed up with anything you need!

Jon
Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Being in Pennsylvania, I'd highly recommend a stainless setup, and I am a fan of American Racing headers. The power difference between the 1-3/4" and the 1-7/8" is small, and usually not very noticeable. I'd recommend 1-7/8" if you plan on upgrading engines, or really building the motor. For near stock up through H/C/I, you should be fine with 1-3/4" headers.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=2113
Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Checkout the Dynatech Supermaxx exaust system for your car. All stainless steel and one of the best fitting systems out there. They tuck in tight and don't hang down. Nothing worse than a exaust so low that your scared to cross a set of railroad tracks.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 AM

"What other mods do you plan on doing to the car?"

An intake for sure. Probably a tune after it and headers are installed. Other than that, no plans at present.