Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSus
No...what is it?
oil coming from the spark plug
Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks more like oil coming from somewhere else, clean everything around it, drive it and follow the trail
Old 08-27-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you say it's from somewhere else when there's no oil above the spark plug hole? I can see the oil is seeping from around the spark plug. Evidently oil is leaking past the rings or the valve seals and being blown out around the spark plug.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:53 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
How can you say it's from somewhere else when there's no oil above the spark plug hole? I can see the oil is seeping from around the spark plug. Evidently oil is leaking past the rings or the valve seals and being blown out around the spark plug.
I disagree.

I've seen things like this several times (some of my own cars included). It's always been a valve cover gasket leak that seeps past the manifold gasket and puddles in the plug hole. I can see some evidence of staining at the top, though most of that residue was burned off from exhaust heat.

I'd pull the plug to verify. If there is no oil fouling on the plug tip, then I don't see how it could be coming from inside the combustion chamber. There will likely be oil on the plug threads though, since it's puddled right at the entry hole which all threads must pass through to remove the plug. But your concern should be the condition of the plug tip, not the threads.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I disagree.

I've seen things like this several times (some of my own cars included). It's always been a valve cover gasket leak that seeps past the manifold gasket and puddles in the plug hole. I can see some evidence of staining at the top, though most of that residue was burned off from exhaust heat.

I'd pull the plug to verify. If there is no oil fouling on the plug tip, then I don't see how it could be coming from inside the combustion chamber. There will likely be oil on the plug threads though, since it's puddled right at the entry hole which all threads must pass through to remove the plug. But your concern should be the condition of the plug tip, not the threads.
the plug looked good (actually looked like I knew wtf I was doing tuning it in hp tuners...) light goldish-brown color, no fouling that I could see.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Light brown/tan or light gray is a good color.

If there are no oil deposits on the tip, then this oil is certainly not coming from inside the combustion chamber. Most likely a minor valve cover gasket leak. My '98 has this same issue on the #7 plug (looks similar to yours, but less residue). I've even found the spot up by the valve cover gasket where it's seeping, I just haven't done anything about it yet because it's so minor. Just like yours, my plug tip looks nice and clean.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 08-28-2010 at 11:53 AM.