Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 LS1 clatter at high RPM!! <help>

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 LS1 clatter at high RPM!! <help>

ok i am new to the forums, ive had my ls1 z for about 8 months, it is an a4. ive noticed in the past few months that if stomp it down on a long hill to race or w.e as the rpms are starting to go into the red in 2nd gear(i think) i begin to hear a clatter, coming from either the tunnel or under the hood, until the car shifts to 3rd. im beggining to think its detonation and i need to run a cooler t-stat as i hear these cars are prone for detonation. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

1) In stock form & tune, they are not prone to detonation at all. Not sure who told you that, but they must not know these cars very well.

2) We need some basics on the car, like mods & mileage. Also, any other problems pop up recently (like reduced MPG or power)? Any codes stored or present (SES light)? Most likely a colder t-stat won't help you.

3) When you say "starting to go into the red", how high do you mean? Maybe the sound you are hearing is the engine bouncing off the rev limiter. Your trans may not be upshifting when it's supposed to.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Teching In

my guess is valve float...
Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

1.) idk i cant remeber who told me that haha
2.)bonestock, except slp loudmouth1 catback, 92k miles, ses light has been on since i got it i hooked it up to a tech 2 once and i believe it was o2 sensors.
3.)5500rpm, i dont think its the rev limiter ive heard rev limiter before it aint like that. but its posssible the tranny has been rebuilt since i got it, maybe they didn get it right.

also it will not do it any any other gear at that rpm only 2nd and will not do it in neutral.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Not to hi-jack this, but I'm having a similar issue w/my '00 SS. It exhibits a clatter or a popping that sounds like it's coming from right under the floorpan. I originally thought that I was dealing w/ a misfire of some sort, but after replacing both o2s, plugs,wires, cleaning the maf, and having a friend with a tech 2 scan it while going for a ride w/ me, I think that something else is going on. I'm wondering if this noise is tied to the trans mount or the torque arm somehow. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Edit: I should have been a little more clear on describing my issue. Similar to the op's description, mine exhibits this racket while climbing hard thru the rpm range. It won't, however, do this in neutral, no matter how hard you rev it. It makes this noise in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear and it seems like it's load-related. It will not make this noise at a light throttle position, no matter how high the rpms, but put your foot in it and it will, even at lower rpms ( 2500 or so on up ).

Last edited by nx346; 09-01-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

well my noise seems to come from in front of the driver, not really at the tranny, unless its around the front of the tranny. my transmission mount is actually ripped in 2 atm tho, i ordered a new one today, it should be here in 2-3 days.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

well here is sumthin else i noticed. after he mentioned valve float, on my way home from work i done a dead stop kick on flat ground. 1st-2nd shift was right as soon as the redline started (5500), but the 2nd-3rd shift was at more like 5700rpm and it didn make the noise on flat ground either, it seems to only do it on a hill were the tach would remain in the red longer.. maybe my 3rd gear shift is at wrong rpms? making it float the valves?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Teching In

not valve float

Quick Reply: 2000 LS1 clatter at high RPM!! <help>