Sponsored by:

help next mod questions

Old 09-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help next mod questions

Yes i did use the search button but lookin for opinions

Right now i got 99 z8 a4 as a DD with a lid n exhaust

I m goin to start modin more... i got another job just for car mods lmao... really i did

First i m goin to get a slp cai n bellows.... question is do i pick up a MAF or Ud pulleys ... am i goin to see real results from a slp Maf or Ud pulley , ls6 intake
a full intake ( ls6, cai,lid,maf,bellows,KnN ) how much hp cuz according to mfg its good for 30 rwhp

Don't wanna do big engine mods n tryin to stay away from labor costs.or long weekends workin on it, so no LT headers yet n wanna hit 375 350 Hp
Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Stay away from the smooth bellow and MAF, the stock MAF is fine up to like 600rwhp or so. Also if you have an aftermarket lid just stay with that and change your filter if it's dirty. An UD pulley from SLP is a good bolt-on so do that if you like. Also the LS6 intake is something to really consider also. New plugs wires (NGK TR55's and MSD wires can be had cheap in the vendor section). Might also think about suspension if you don't want to get to far in the motor. A good home ported TB is also a nice add.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know you said no LTs yet but I would recommend considering doing them. Its not a hard swap and these motors respond really well to them. We are usually looking to pick up 25-30 rwhp by swapping to some LTs and a larger y-pipe. Good luck with your build!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
I know you said no LTs yet but I would recommend considering doing them. Its not a hard swap and these motors respond really well to them. We are usually looking to pick up 25-30 rwhp by swapping to some LTs and a larger y-pipe. Good luck with your build!
Agreed. Headers aren't nearly as bad on these cars as they are on some others. There are a lot of nice write-ups (some with pictures) on how to do them with basic hand tools, a floor jack, and some jack stands.

I'm far from being mechanically talented, but I plan on installing my headers myself. I've been doing a lot of my own repairs lately, to save money on labor, and I've learned that if I double the time that everyone else can do it in, that's about how long it takes me. Tiring, frustrating, but ultimately much more rewarding. I'd reconsider the headers / Y-pipe / catback mods and just tackle it yourself over a weekend. The good people on this forum will be able to answer any question you can think of. Happy modding!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

I did my headers by myself, with noone around to help me....it's a lot easier than you think...it only took me about 3 hours to do it by myself....hardest part, honestly, was getting the car up high enough to put the LT's in....had to rest them on the spark plugs til i could bolt them on from up top (i already had new spark plugs to put in before i did this though).

But honestly....if you're an A4 the best mod you could possibly do for that car is put stall in it....

I went from running a 13.1@107 mph to 12.4 @ 110 mph with just the addition of a SS3600 and about 30 mins of AFR tuning.....

Everyone will tell you that a stall is the best mod you could do for an A4 and that is no lie....i've experienced it first hand.

but yeah, don't waste you're money on a bellow or MAF....get a P/P TB, LS6 intake and some LT's, w/ a stall and you'll easily be mid 12's......i've gotten all the mods in my sig for right around $2,500 total (not including the little misc. things i got) so I would say that for under $3k you can easily have a mid-low 12 sec. car.....
Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Launching!

I would say UD pulley and get an 85mm MAF and port your throttle body. Just plan on having to do the headers and ORY sometime soon to really let loose some power with your car. SLP sells 85mm MAFs for like $170 or something but you can get the exact same thing for under $100, SLP bases there MAFs off of the later model GM trucks and SUVs like denalis and silverados all come with 85mm MAFs that will bolt right into your car. Just a quick hint to save you some money.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I disagree, with a new maf, you'll have to pay someone to get it calibrated, and it isn't really a good mod. get a ported tb, if you want, you can get your maf ends ported, The Powder Pro, (Silverghost is his username on here), he does great work. You car is an A4, if you do an underdrive pulley, a lot of guys with A4's have to get a high output alternator, I would do it when you do a heads/cam swap, since you'll have to take it off anyway. Seriously though, headers are by far the best thing you could do right now. You won't regret it, I promise. Just my $.02 though
Old 09-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Launching!

So i picked up a new Ls6 intake Today...300$ bucks not to bad...Next i will be lookin into a TB for her

Wht should i look for in a TB i now have a ls6 intake

LT's run around 800$ tht to much right now prob goin to wait untill i can find a Used set localy

Workin on a full intake
Old 09-09-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stall,Headers,Pully & suspension.I put $2500 into my 02 SS a4 and went from 13.36 Bone stock to 11.88 w/ bolt-on's.Just get your TB Ported & Polished it $75 and I payed $660 shipped for my Coated long tubes,off road y-pipe,wires,plugs & 02 extensions from Texas Speed.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by legendarysouls
LT's run around 800$ tht to much right now prob goin to wait untill i can find a Used set localy
There are cheaper options out there. Not by a lot, but you can get a one of a couple different sets shipped for under $700, as mentioned.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by legendarysouls
So i picked up a new Ls6 intake Today...300$ bucks not to bad...Next i will be lookin into a TB for her

Wht should i look for in a TB i now have a ls6 intake

Workin on a full intake
There are much cheaper options out there. My entire exhaust system (LT's ORY and Magnaflow catback) cost less than $800 brand new! IMO you are wasting your time and money on mods you probably won't even feel with the MAF and TB. You will be MUCH happier with LT or a stall so I would just save your money until you can afford them.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zracer323
There are much cheaper options out there. My entire exhaust system (LT's ORY and Magnaflow catback) cost less than $800 brand new! IMO you are wasting your time and money on mods you probably won't even feel with the MAF and TB. You will be MUCH happier with LT or a stall so I would just save your money until you can afford them.
I agree or just say F it and spray the house down!!! haha
Old 09-10-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

get a stall. youll be thrilled how much a difference it makes.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stay away from the MAF, those gains are for cars that are running a few more horsies than stock. They don't specify that part.

I agree with the header issue. They can be found for much cheaper. I think Texas Speed has a set of great headers with a y pipe for about $480. That's about how much good budget headers run.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you wont feel a thing with maf bellows and filter. what amount of money do you have? you dont have to spend 800 to get the best LTs out there. stall and full exhaust is your best bet. id save and start there.

Search this Thread