Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Z28 - Basic Mod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Z28 - Basic Mod Questions

I'm gonna be that guy. I have searched and read dozens of threads over the last few days. I have not really found the answer to what I am looking for, this forum has soooo much info that it gets a little overwelming. I just picked up a 2002 Z28 M6, bone stock. I'm formerly a 2004 GTO owner to which I did FULL bolt-ons and then some, along with a cam, had a lot of fun with it. I don't really want to go there with the Z28, I want to keep it simple, keep the installs simple, etc.

I don't really want to go through a lot of hassle and I don't want to spend too much money. But I would like to do some of the simple things that can make a decent impact on power and sound. The best way I know how to ask this question is: what are the most cost effective mods that I can do, that are basically "must do" mods? The stuff that you would be remiss not to do?

I know I should do a lid. Should I bother with a different filter? I'm not going to do the air delete, because it's just not worth the hassle to me. What else should I consider that will be worth it with a relatively easy install?

Sorry to ask such a newbie, bonehead question. But I would really appreciate some help and feedback along these lines to point me in the right direction. I'm not looking to have the fastest car out there, but I can't just leave it alone either.

I appreciate your time in reading and responding.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Just my opinion, but think about starting with Lid, MAF, intake and exhaust. Something along the lines of a custom made catback with a nice muffler. All that can be done pretty cheap. Oh and since its M6 drop 4.10 ring and pinion in it. Good luck with it anyway you go.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I was thinking something along the lines of a slp lid, loudmouth cat-back and a hand held tuner. Worth it? Thoughts?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Ya that sounds good. Its all a gateway drug anyways
Old 09-24-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PontiacMC
Just my opinion, but think about starting with Lid, MAF, intake and exhaust. Something along the lines of a custom made catback with a nice muffler. All that can be done pretty cheap. Oh and since its M6 drop 4.10 ring and pinion in it. Good luck with it anyway you go.
Forget the MAF, and intake. Get a LID it will do just fine. Forget the hand held tuner that money could be better spent on a tune after you get headers.

I don't understand your coming out of a 2004 GTO which has the same motor as the Z-28 your now in you should have a basic clue. LID, Headers, Gears, Tune, Cat-back. Should get you around the 350rwhp mark...
Old 09-24-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with forgetting the intake. You already have a LS6 intake on there.

Get a lid, full exhaust, and a good tune for starters and go from there.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't get an aftermarket maf or hand held tuner. From front to back...

-$200 Some kind of CAI. (Fast Toys, Chris1313, SLP w/ extension)
-Don't worry about the filter, whether you have a stock paper filter or a K&N just keep what you have
-$90 SLP Lid
-skip the maf
-skip the bellow, stock one is fine
-$65 to get your throttble body port and polished by a sponser on this site (damian, thesilverghost)
-$600 Pacesetter Coated Headers with ORY + shipping and all install accessories if you want to go with headers, if you don't want to skip it, but it's my favorite mod and pretty much the only mod I could actually feel.
-$450ish catback, check out the numerous threads to find out what you want to go with, Loud mouth, Magnaflow...ect...
-$125 Finally finish it all up with a mail order tune from the LS1tech member "frost". He does incredible work and can delete codes for you, get rid of skip shift, and will optimize your tune for your mods.

Should give you like the above guys said, around 345-355rwhp, will be dead reliable, shouldn't need to upgrade your clutch, and you'll still get great mpg. Full bolt ons and a tune and I get 31mpg all highway when I go to my parent's house 200 miles away.

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 09-24-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

So basically, until I am ready to spend the money on headers and a real tune, I should just get a lid and be happy for now? I'd like a better sound and it seems the loudmouth is a good cost effective option. But when and if I add headers later I'm afraid I'll end up with too much volume, drone and rasp and have to change the cat-back again to something else. Should I just wait until I can spend the money on a different cat-back set up so I don't have to change it again after headers?

Yes, I had the same engine in the GTO, but the intake and exhaust set-up is entirely different than the f-bodys. I know where to get the most bang for the buck on the LS1 in general, but with different intake and exhaust lay-outs I am just making sure money is being spent in the most effective way from the start. I spent a lot of time and money changing and rechanging things on the GTO as I went, don't really want to go through that again. I want to do it the right way the first time, so I am erring on the side of caution.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Anything else is much appreciate, thanks for you time.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueSuperGoat
So basically, until I am ready to spend the money on headers and a real tune, I should just get a lid and be happy for now? I'd like a better sound and it seems the loudmouth is a good cost effective option. But when and if I add headers later I'm afraid I'll end up with too much volume, drone and rasp and have to change the cat-back again to something else. Should I just wait until I can spend the money on a different cat-back set up so I don't have to change it again after headers?

Yes, I had the same engine in the GTO, but the intake and exhaust set-up is entirely different than the f-bodys. I know where to get the most bang for the buck on the LS1 in general, but with different intake and exhaust lay-outs I am just making sure money is being spent in the most effective way from the start. I spent a lot of time and money changing and rechanging things on the GTO as I went, don't really want to go through that again. I want to do it the right way the first time, so I am erring on the side of caution.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Anything else is much appreciate, thanks for you time.
I guess it depends on how much money you are willing to spend. TheBlueKnight gave you a great "starter list", but if you are a little strapped, then it may be best to hold off on the mods for now, and save up. Don't rush it either. Do it little by little. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KevinR
I guess it depends on how much money you are willing to spend. TheBlueKnight gave you a great "starter list", but if you are a little strapped, then it may be best to hold off on the mods for now, and save up. Don't rush it either. Do it little by little. Just my 2 cents.
Understood and agreed. For now I am spending money on things like a new deck and or ipod hook up, tint, etc. And a buddy of mine is supposed to be sending me his old lid so that should save me some $$. Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

get a lid and eletric cutout for better sound and power. that way you can close it. thats a pretty simple start and go from there.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd stick with a lid/catback for now. There's other things that make these cars enjoyable too, such as decent shocks and a nice shifter. For me, it's not always just about going fast, it's about the total driving experience while you're doing it
Old 09-24-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Wouldn't get an aftermarket maf or hand held tuner. From front to back...

-$200 Some kind of CAI. (Fast Toys, Chris1313, SLP w/ extension)
-Don't worry about the filter, whether you have a stock paper filter or a K&N just keep what you have
-$90 SLP Lid
-skip the maf
-skip the bellow, stock one is fine
-$65 to get your throttble body port and polished by a sponser on this site (damian, thesilverghost)
-$600 Pacesetter Coated Headers with ORY + shipping and all install accessories if you want to go with headers, if you don't want to skip it, but it's my favorite mod and pretty much the only mod I could actually feel.
-$450ish catback, check out the numerous threads to find out what you want to go with, Loud mouth, Magnaflow...ect...
-$125 Finally finish it all up with a mail order tune from the LS1tech member "frost". He does incredible work and can delete codes for you, get rid of skip shift, and will optimize your tune for your mods.

Should give you like the above guys said, around 345-355rwhp, will be dead reliable, shouldn't need to upgrade your clutch, and you'll still get great mpg. Full bolt ons and a tune and I get 31mpg all highway when I go to my parent's house 200 miles away.
What this guy said lol, its a great starter list you could also throw in an ud pulley as well good for abt another 10whp. And ya your right if you do the LM catback it will sound like *** with headers and no cats.... There are evn cheaper options than pacesetter slike my bbks are 365 shipped and they look/fit great then there are the ebay headers which are even cheaper whatever you do headers will be one of the best bang for the buck mod.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redbird555
What this guy said lol, its a great starter list you could also throw in an ud pulley as well good for abt another 10whp. And ya your right if you do the LM catback it will sound like *** with headers and no cats.... There are evn cheaper options than pacesetter slike my bbks are 365 shipped and they look/fit great then there are the ebay headers which are even cheaper whatever you do headers will be one of the best bang for the buck mod.
What if I have to keep cats for emissions? Does the loadmouth sound good with LTs and Cats? If not, can you make another cost effective cat-back recommendation? I had a corsa on my GTO and loved it, but looks pretty expensive for the f-body. It was cheap on the GTO because it was a y-pipe single out system.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Can anyone explain the SLP interchangable systems thing to me? So, I could get a loudmouth and later upgrade it to a powerflo? Or is it just the ability to switch between a LM1 and LM2? What the difference in volume with/without headers? Any help much appreciated.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

These threads crack me up, all the noobs give the other noobs usueless info lol
Pm me bro, I'm in town, I'll help you out.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by desertLS1
Car looks great man. Thanks! I'll hit you up later, heading out the door for the night.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by desertLS1
I've only seen 1 really noob post (MAF and intake for an '02), but I do think there's information to gain from this thread. Lid/exhaust with somet other things thrown in there (suspension/shifter/tune, etc.) aren't necessarily bad advice....

EDIT: I should add...what do you suggest?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

I'll have to keep these in mind.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I've only seen 1 really noob post (MAF and intake for an '02), but I do think there's information to gain from this thread. Lid/exhaust with somet other things thrown in there (suspension/shifter/tune, etc.) aren't necessarily bad advice....

EDIT: I should add...what do you suggest?
I'm with this guy ^^^^

The OP is asking for basic bolt on advice. So far, most people have given some pretty good input. How is that useless info?