Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers, anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers, anything else?

Ok guys im doing my headers this thurs, is there any other little stuff i need to buy to install headers and delete air pump? more on the air pump i pretty much know the headers, any special fittings or plugs needed? thanks

Last edited by WS6SP33D; 10-11-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did my headers there was one little fitting toward the back of the intake manifold I plugged with gorilla glue, but other than that nothing I can remember for the air unless your headers you are installing have air fittings. Then you will need air fitting block off plates. If you still have an LS1 intake manifold I think you'll need to plug the EGR hole in the neck of the intake.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
When I did my headers there was one little fitting toward the back of the intake manifold I plugged with gorilla glue, but other than that nothing I can remember for the air unless your headers you are installing have air fittings. Then you will need air fitting block off plates. If you still have an LS1 intake manifold I think you'll need to plug the EGR hole in the neck of the intake.
For the EGR plug in the intake they sell the plug at the GM dealer & its $16 OR some get a rubber expandable freeze plug. Better yet, get an LS6 intake, no plug needed
Old 10-12-2010, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While you are down there you should definitely check your engine mounts and trans mount. I never did mine when I installed the headers and now mine bang on my floor! If you fit the headers up without new mounts and the collector is within about a half inch from the floor then you will get some banging.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HumanNipple
If you fit the headers up without new mounts and the collector is within about a half inch from the floor then you will get some banging.
Yeah, if you aren't lazy you should do motor mounts. I was lazy and when it banged a bit I just pulled the y-pipe down a tad and it stopped.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
If you still have an LS1 intake manifold I think you'll need to plug the EGR hole in the neck of the intake.
yea you do need the plug for that.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would at least check plugs too while you have the exhaust off. The long tubes will make it easier than the manifolds, but it never gets easier than with the exhaust off.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks everyone for advice, their race headers no air hook ups, Does gm carry the egr plug in stock or is it a def they will have to order it? and where do do get the adj freeze plug? If i would have known sooner i would of went ahead and did motor mounts but now it's to late to get them in damn it. I have saw alot of people running ngk tr55's so i'll prob go ahead and stick those in (what gap) Thanks again

Last edited by WS6SP33D; 10-12-2010 at 08:11 PM.