Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What mileage before rebuild?

Old 03-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What mileage before rebuild?

Hiya Folks,
Been lurking for a few months trying to learn as much about the Gen. III and IV engines as I can. I'm considering transplanting an LY6 into my Jeep Wrangler. In any case, I've been keeping an eye on prices on car-part.com and have been looking for a low mileage engine as I'm leaning towards not rebuilding. So my question is, at what mileage should I max out at before planning for a rebuild? I see some low mileage engines and others with over 100k on them. I know their built for 350k or so but really, should I buy an engine with 125k on it and not rebuild it? If there's a better source of these engines for the SW US, I'd be most interested in hearing about it.
Thanks much,
cc
Old 03-26-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no magic number for a rebuild on any engine, as always its a matter of the condition its in, and that will depend on how it was maintained and treated. The truth is when buying a used engine, You could have a 100K engine last you for another 100K, Or you could have a 40K engine last You two Hours, You never know That is the Gambit you face when buying any USED engine that YOU have no previous knowledge of.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

If your close or not Im not sure but Certified Auto Recycling in Ardmore, AL is great to deal with. Their nice on the phoen and very helpful. Thats where most of the used stuff on Powerblock on Spike comes from. Their basically on the TN/AL border. Their prices are usually pretty good and they can find the mileage engine you want, if its out there. I always dealt with a chick named Casey when I'd have to do the parts guys job and find engines/trans. for customers.
Contact info and address:
Toll Free: 1.800.632.2091
Local: 256.423.7560
Address: 29290 Mangum Road
Ardmore, AL 35739
Old 03-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks folks. I'm in NM and am not in a hurry so will keep looking around but may give Certified a call when I get closer to this project.
Cheers,
cc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What mileage before rebuild?