New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple transmission fluid change questions for my M6.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Multiple transmission fluid change questions for my M6.

First off, I know this isn't the transmission forum but it's a newbie question. Second, I've done a search and really can't find the answers I'm looking for. Now, Is it necessary to change the Transmission fluid in my M6? If so, with what type of fluid. On this website:

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/lubeoil.htm

He recommends that you use ATF. Is that right?!?!?! If so, can someone tell me why you'd use AUTOMATIC transmission fluid in a manual transmission? Finally, I read that the Mobil 1 syn. isn't the best choice when it comes to transmissions for the simple fact that it is too slippery. True? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

P.S. Should you have your transmission flushed rather than just change the fluid?
Old 02-21-2004, 01:59 PM
wrencher

Yes you need to change it.
ATF is OE recommended,look at these;
www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115476
www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93052
Old 02-21-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wrencher
Yes you need to change it.
ATF is OE recommended,look at these;
www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115476
www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93052
Much appreciation, those threads were informative. Now I'm left with the decision on what to use. I read in one of the posts that the older(98-00) T-56s don't like the syncromesh as much because of the differences in some type of pad. I'm a transmission idiot. So now I'm wondering whether to put in the cheaper dextron III type fluid, or go ahead with the synchromesh. One thing is now for sure. I'll hold off on the Mobil 1 Syn. that I had initially planned or synthetics alltogether for that matter. At least when it comes to the transmission.

Thanks again,
Justin
Old 02-21-2004, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Unforgiven1
Much appreciation, those threads were informative. Now I'm left with the decision on what to use. I read in one of the posts that the older(98-00) T-56s don't like the syncromesh as much because of the differences in some type of pad. I'm a transmission idiot. So now I'm wondering whether to put in the cheaper dextron III type fluid, or go ahead with the synchromesh. One thing is now for sure. I'll hold off on the Mobil 1 Syn. that I had initially planned or synthetics alltogether for that matter. At least when it comes to the transmission.

Thanks again,
Justin
The 93-98 f-bodies had the different transmission. They had a Borg Warner and the 99-up have the Tremec. I don't know what fluids are best for each though or when to change mabey somebody could answer that.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using Redline D4 ATF (syn.) for over a year with no problems.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Ah, the great debate about trans fluid for the T56...

As stated above, Dexron-III ATF is what's recommended for the T56. To my knowledge the use of ATF in manual transmissions is largely due to the better cold shifting properties of this fluid. Unfortunately it also breaks down quicker and doesn't provide the protection that a good gear oil will.

There are many stories about synthetics being "too slippery" or otherwise damaging the internals of the T56, but I'm still skeptical. I use Redline D4ATF in my trans based on prior experience and recommendations from people I trust. I have had no problems at all after 3+ years and shifting has always been smooth for me.

Quick Reply: Multiple transmission fluid change questions for my M6.