Go Back   LS1TECH > WELCOME TO LS1TECH > New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech
Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by
Improved Racing

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 02-22-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default complete instructions online to rebuild a sbc 350

are there any websites online that go through a step by step process of rebuilding a small block chevy 350? i cant seem to find any, without having to order a book on how to do so, im new with old school v-8's, i have lots of experience with rotary engines and other import engine (honda,mazda,toyota), but i just want everything done right, this is a whole new motor to me, i bought a sbc 350 bored.30 over with pistons and a 350 crank installed, i tearing it all apart in a couple days and having the block tanked, i want about 400 hp, and 480 .lbs of torque, this engine is going into a 1988 mazda RX7 as i have blown the rotary engine and am tired of the unreliable over 100,000 mile rotary egine, dont get me wrong i love the rotary engine, they are an almost unlimited source of power but unreliable as hell as you start to beef them up. i want earthquaking torque, **** i only spent 50 bucks for the entire block as is. all the help is appeciated. tanks later

also, the block is only a 2 bolt main, i will be placing 4 bolt main caps on it shortly, the block is also from 1970 as well, all help and info is appreciated, thanks
sleeperRX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 06:43 AM   #2
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

This site has the most help online I've found:
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/
There's an article about the basics of building the motor, as well as a bunch of other ones. I forget how I searched to find it, but it's there. (I've also got a copy of the print version, so I didn't save the link).
Other than that, I bought 2 books called "How to rebuild your small-block Chevy" and "How to build max performance SBC's on a budget" both by a David Vizard. They seem to be very good - and are as simple or as detailed as you want to get as far as machining and stuff you can do.

I think I'm going to build my first one by buying a short block kit from like PAW and then using the Edelbrock performer rpm setup. It won't quite fit the 'on a budget' method, but it should be a solid motor for street cruising. Now if only I could find a Chevy II Nova for the right price...
DANSLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:24 AM   #3
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 11

I bet you'd find a few good books at a used book
store for a buck or two. The SBC is a very simple
and fairly forgiving motor. If you want to save the
machine & clean work and get the best street
combo, that's probably a 383 stroker short block
and pick your heads & cam for application. I know
when I rebuilt mine I still dropped maybe $300
bucks at the machine shop for bore/hone & hot-
tank and inspection (back in the day; probably
50% more by now). Buying the bottom end
good-to-go makes a lot of sense if you aren't
emotionally attached to a current block (like
it's your high school sweetheart or something).

2002 SS convertible

SLP Blackwing lid, 85mm MAF, 85mm Professional Products intake & TB, SLP CME, JBAs/Mufflex tubes . SLP Y, McCord cutout, Fuddle 3500/2.0, GM truck pan, '98 flexplate, 3.42s, T-2R, MAC cover, welded tubes, Hotchkiss PHR, springs; BMR bolt-in LCA brackets, K-member; UMI TA, boxed stock 1LE LCAs, SLP Bilstein / Gabriel air shocks (F/R); Strano 35/22 sway bars, 224/224 116 cam, LT1 rad, HPTuners 12.6@112MPH
jimmyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:30 PM   #4
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I bet you'd find a few good books at a used book
store for a buck or two. The SBC is a very simple
and fairly forgiving motor. If you want to save the
machine & clean work and get the best street
combo, that's probably a 383 stroker short block
and pick your heads & cam for application. I know
when I rebuilt mine I still dropped maybe $300
bucks at the machine shop for bore/hone & hot-
tank and inspection (back in the day; probably
50% more by now). Buying the bottom end
good-to-go makes a lot of sense if you aren't
emotionally attached to a current block (like
it's your high school sweetheart or something).

Hey tell me more about you 85mm MAF ported and retuned, like where could I get me one for my 2002 covertiable T/A and what I might have to change for the car to accept the 85mm MAF. what kind of gains could I expect.

P.S> Have SLP cold air/SLP lid/ a few free mod's/ SLP 160 thermo/Slp fan control switch? and have a predator comming soon.

Any advice on how to get more HP gain/better ET'S??????
Running 1340's now and looking for more!!!!!!!

jdog36
jdog36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:42 PM   #5
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperRX7
are there any websites online that go through a step by step process of rebuilding a small block chevy 350? i cant seem to find any, without having to order a book on how to do so, im new with old school v-8's, i have lots of experience with rotary engines and other import engine (honda,mazda,toyota), but i just want everything done right, this is a whole new motor to me, i bought a sbc 350 bored.30 over with pistons and a 350 crank installed, i tearing it all apart in a couple days and having the block tanked, i want about 400 hp, and 480 .lbs of torque, this engine is going into a 1988 mazda RX7 as i have blown the rotary engine and am tired of the unreliable over 100,000 mile rotary egine, dont get me wrong i love the rotary engine, they are an almost unlimited source of power but unreliable as hell as you start to beef them up. i want earthquaking torque, **** i only spent 50 bucks for the entire block as is. all the help is appeciated. tanks later

also, the block is only a 2 bolt main, i will be placing 4 bolt main caps on it shortly, the block is also from 1970 as well, all help and info is appreciated, thanks

Is this Matt???
LS1 Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:42 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
30, 350, block, book, budget, chevy, engine, hone, rebuild, rebuilding, rebuilt, sbc, short, start, step