New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear oil pan bolt snapped

Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear oil pan bolt snapped

Was going through and snugging up my oil pan bolts and the last one I did snapped. It is one of the two long rear ones (driver side, closest to oil filter). Is it possible to use some easy-out drill bits to get the rest of the bolt out, or since it bolts to the bottom of the rear main seal, will I be needing to drop the transmission in order to get it out?

Also, I drove it around the block and parked it. It doesn't seem to be leaking. Am I fine still using it as my daily driver, so long as there is no leaking?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it ain't leaking just leave it be. One of my long ones is stripped out and the back corner edge, on the same side, is broken on the oil pan from a speed bump(after i had just replaced the other one I did the same thing too). It don't leak I'm not fixing it, to big of a PITA. 1 year and I'm still doing fine.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is not leaking and no "oily moisture" then your fine. When it comes out for a rebuild, that is one of the things that will need to be addressed.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Same happened here. Except mines leaking a quart a month. So if anyone has the size and thread of the bolt so I can go get a new one it'd be great. I already got the old stripped one out.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by poseidon
Same happened here. Except mines leaking a quart a month. So if anyone has the size and thread of the bolt so I can go get a new one it'd be great. I already got the old stripped one out.

Dude, pull another one out, put some wood and a jack under the pan and go to Home Depot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear oil pan bolt snapped