New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no start

Old 05-18-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no start

for the last 3-4 years my car has basically been a driveway queen. i dont have time for her but i definitely dont want to get rid of her either. if i dont drive her often i at least start her and let her idle for 15-20 minutes every few weeks and she starts every time no problem even if i have to jump the car to start it.
i havent started her in about 4 months this time though and when i hook the jump box to it there is nothing. no cranking to click just dead silence. im using a commercial style battery charger/jumper box the kind you see at the dealer or mechanic shop and the gauge on the dash shows 18 volts when i hook the box to it but when i turn the key i get nothing and this is the first time that has ever happened.

what could it be?
Old 05-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Teching In

could be a number of things, bad starter solenoid, bad starting relay, wiring issue, anti-theft system issue, things such as that
Old 05-18-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

do you think i can bump start (push start) the car with any of these conditions??
i need to get it from my driveway to my shop but i dont want to pay for a tow or rent a dolly.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:21 AM

does the fuel pump still prime the system when you turn the key? If everything is normal before you actually try to turn the key to start it then you should be able to push start it no problem. I am just assuming it's a M6 since you mentioned push starting lol. Automatic, no...you wont be able to obviously.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Teching In

if it is a anti-theft system issue it prob. would not push start, i think that kills the whole ignition system so the car won't fire
Old 05-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

when you put the jump box on it can you use remote to lock and unlock doors? do ur gauges light up or come on when you put the key in it?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

when i put the jump box on it everything lights up, the gauges work, the chime works, lock unlock work from the fob even the electric water pump works but when i turn the key all the way forward i get dead silence. no click from the solenoids or starter nothing but silence.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

any after market alarm? if your not ever getting a click sounds to me like power wire to starter. doesnt make sense to me why theft system would just go bad from sitting there. and if its stock and you use the key fob to unlock the door i would think theft system would disable.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

have you checked fuses? maybe a starter relay. im not very familiar
with the starting systems on these car but im sure there the same as most others. maybe the jump box nuked a fuse.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Teching In

i would tend to agree, except back when i was in highschool i had an issue with anti-theft system when the keyfob batt. started dying, it would sometimes unlock the doors sometimes not and it would activate the security system when i got in and i could not start the car, i always had to either use the key for manual entry or i would have to remove that batt. cable the reset the alarm system
Old 05-19-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

i still have the stock oem security / power lock and unlock the way it came from the factory.
ill check the fuses and keep my fingers crossed.

Search this Thread