Sponsored by:

Help!! T/A won't start :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help!! T/A won't start :(

Here's the story:

Drove the car for a good 45 min during the day.She ran strong, even had it up to about 125. **** I even got a race in (RS4 ). Got home and went back out about 5 hrs later. Started up no problem. Got around the block to my buddies house to pick him up, came back outside and she doesn't wanna start. It's definitely not mechanical.. the electronics in the car started flipping out. The dials on the dash started going crazy. I finally got it to start and it started real weak, I had to give it gas or it would die but I was thankfully able to get it back in the driveway (the drive home seemed fine, too). Now it won't start at all, which is a problem because the drivers side window is open.

What's happening now:

-remote keyless alarm system not working
-the car is getting electricity from the battery though; when I open the door the courtesy lights come on and the little red alarm light blinks
-When I turn the ignition, nothing at all. The little red alarm light blinks like crazy but that's about it
-I can get the dash to illuminate, but its very dim

I'm thinking that because we had a FUCKLOAD of rain here recently that something may have gotten wet. I also checked my battery and PCM connections, all seem good. The battery is 4 months old. Also, got my PCM tuned but I couldn't for the life of me get the PCM seals to sit right on re-installation so I left them off. Possible problem?

What's going on?!?! Any help is very much appreciated. I just paid my insurance for the year on the car too
Old 05-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like a bad battery connection or even a weak battery. I know you said you checked the connections but that's the first thing that your symptoms point to.

Remove the battery and have it load-tested at your local parts store. If it check out, reinstall it and get it good and tight.

Last edited by t-trimz28; 05-23-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar issue and it turned out my positive battery cable connection to the battery was corroded. It wasn't creating a clean connection, so the PCM was cutting off fuel and spark.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

may also be your ground wire. those battery wires will sometimes get corroded thoughout the wire. that would be my guess. you may need to really get in there and check them good. it could even be a bad connection at the other end of ground or pos cable. no matter what it is that really where you should prob start
Old 05-23-2011, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exeodus
I had a similar issue and it turned out my positive battery cable connection to the battery was corroded. It wasn't creating a clean connection, so the PCM was cutting off fuel and spark.
Thats what I had going on too.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

turn the key on but dont try to start it.what does the volt gauge read at?I bet its around 10volts if your lucky or worse.could be a dead cell in the car battery,could have a intermittent short,or bad ground/lose grounds on the block,also check for heat soaked starter..or lose bad connections at the starter.if you have a battery charger,put it on a very slow charge rate over night.also make sure the alternator works properly..it might not be charging the battery.ive driven an hr or longer on the highway without and alternator working before the car died 100%

Quick Reply: Help!! T/A won't start :(