Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic tank fuel level question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic tank fuel level question

I have a plastic LS1 tank that I am putting in my 1989 Camaro along with a LS1 and T56. The stock fuel level sending unit reads 33-240 ohm...

Here is my question to you....
My new fuel gauge dose not read 33-240, it's 240-33 ohm. I was going to bend the float arm so that it faces the other way... Thus correcting the problem.

I thought the fuel level data was sent to the PCM for EVAP calculations... wont this throw off the EVAP system? This needs to be a smog legal swap.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure if the PCM recieves a signal or not from the sending unit. I know the gauge uses the resistance value to determine the fuel level. I also know there were differences in the 98 models and the later 99-02 pcms and gauges. I have a factory manual at home for my 98 with all the schematics, If your dealing with the 98 setup PM me and I can try to trace out some of the fuel circuit.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:46 AM
Staging Lane

Thanx for the response... I got it figured out...
Buuuuut, I have another problem. I have a 99-02 style plastic tank but I have a 98 LS1.
I need to hook up the EVAP system. Can the two be made to work together?

At the time I got the tank, I thought the only difference between 98 and 99-02 was the placement of the canister. Will it still wire up the same??
Old 05-28-2011, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by _blake
Thanx for the response... I got it figured out...
Buuuuut, I have another problem. I have a 99-02 style plastic tank but I have a 98 LS1.
I need to hook up the EVAP system. Can the two be made to work together?

At the time I got the tank, I thought the only difference between 98 and 99-02 was the placement of the canister. Will it still wire up the same??
IIRC, they should be the same. Same connector and EVAP solenoid I'm almost positive. I just don't see why you can't delete the EVAP, along with the AIR and EGR. It doesn't make any sense. Even the California smog ****'s couldn't tell you did as long as you have the codes turned off in the computer. It won't throw a code at all. You could even delete the rear o2 sensors and cats and they couldn't tell unless they looked, but there not gonna do that most likely without it throwing a code. I have a 2000 and I had the rear o2's deleted, EVAP, AIR, and EGR and they didn't know a damn thing since the codes were turned off in the computer. Unless somebody REALLY knows there LS1s, they wouldn't know they were gone. 01-02 cars didn't even have EGR...Just saying...Its not really worth the effort because they CAN'T tell. And btw, I'm not talking about deleting the codes with a handheld code reader. You can turn them off all together with EFI Live or HP Tuners. Your gonna have to have VATS turned off anyway just so it will run...