New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an aftermarket exhaust really that hard to put on??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is an aftermarket exhaust really that hard to put on??

I took my car to a performance shop thats actually very reputable and their really cool guys nothing but good reviews from people. I bought a slp loudmouth exhaust to replace the beat up exhaust that was on it. After they put it on it began to rattled and squeaked really bad after i got it home. I took it back they said the rattling is because theres not much room between the panhard bar and the exhaust and the squeaking was a hanger rubbing a bolt. After they fixed it I got home and it still rattles a tad when taking off slow and I can still hear the some squeaking when im moving next to other cars or walls. I thought it was a direct bolt on and I've heard other TA's with the same exhaust no rattle nothing. Why cant they get this simple problem right? This can't be normal for fbodys is it? Cause I dont see this problem with other ones, it should be solid in there.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my magnaflow still rattles on decel at certain rpms/speed, and just a bit when I first take off. I tried adjusting it a million times. the only thing I can do now is pull it off and hammer a pinch weld down. i just live with it. the slp loudass exhaust I had before rattled because of the same thing.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

hmmm thats something they mentioned about hammering a pinch in the weld but other people get away without doing it so I don't feel like I should. O and btw I don't think the exhaust is as loud as ppl say it is, on the highway cruising at 70 I can't here it.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Banned

its not loud when your out of the throttle. but give it just a bit, put it under a slight load, and you cant talk to the person next to you
Old 06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Teching In

I jab the loudmouth on my 01 ws6 and it doesn't rattle or anything. But I did do a lot of tweaking here and there just to make sure it was away from anything. Just in do all the clamps and play around with it. you'll find the sweet spot.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

I installed a loudmouth II and it doesn't hit anything or rattle but I spent a lot of time adjusting everything so there was enough clearance. It helps to have someone to give you a hand while installing.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I've installed probably two dozen catbacks on these cars. Here is what I can tell you:

In certain areas (like the over-the-axle pipe), some clearences are tight. Due to production tolerences (both with the car and with the exhaust system), sometimes an aftermarket system will make contact with some point on some cars, but not on others. Usually it will fit well with the proper amount of time spent adjusting it, but sometimes you need to do a slight modification to either the car or the exhaust for optimum or acceptable fitment. If you are unable to do this yourself, then you might want to get a good exhaust shop involved. Since you paid someone else to install it already, I'd keep going back if the system is rattling against the body.

Every system will require some level of adjustment for best fit, but one way or another it can be made to work (might require a welder, etc.). I've even gone so far as to drill new mounting holes in the frame, to move exhaust hangers for a better fit.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 06-07-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Like said, anything aftermarket will need some adjustment. The ONLY thing that is expected to fit perfect is factory installed parts. As it was engineered that way.

Sounds like the garage never test drove the car as if it was that apparent...

Take it back and make them do the adjustments. They should have no issues.

But again like said, with aftermarket parts you are going to have to play with it and no 2 exhaust are the same. My Corsa needed multiple adjustments to get everything lined up correct. Now its mint!