New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 year old + LS1 = ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advise is be careful in the rain! Don't think that you can get on it at all even if it's just a bit damp out... the back will try to come around on you.

Other than that, common sense. Don't speed, cops WILL single you out because you have a fast car and they won't hesitate to throw the book at you since you're young.

Also, I know there's a lot of street racers on this forum, but I would urge you to resist the temptation and instead go to the dragstrip... I'd rather pay $20 to race legally than risk going to jail, losing my license, etc.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to take away the feeling of wanting to "get on it" just take it to the track every chance you get for a few months and then you get to a point that you know how fast it is and its boring to drive again. Then upgrade it, cam + heads and more importantly pay for everything yourself and then you really wont want to play with it for fear of breaking parts and knowing how expensive it was ...and your faster than 99.99999999% of the cars you see driving around you and it becomes a waste of gas to race anyone.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

**** it..just give it to me
Old 06-11-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it on the track!!!!

Don't be racing all your dumb *** friends that want you to prove they are faster. If you're racing and they wreck..... Guess who is getting charged.
**** happens QUICK at 120mph.

Remember.. This is a machine, in the end you have zero control over It. You respect it and you will be fine. Don't respect it amd you will have a totaled car or possibly dead.
I know a lot of young kids In my town, 16-20 with mustang gts ls1s etc.. Most of them have wrecked or been In some close calls or will soon. They are idiots, don't be another statistic.
Have fun but be smart. Don't kick it in town, watch for traffic and side streets if you are going to get on it or race OUTSIDE of town. Remember a deer at 110 will **** some **** up in a fiberglass car.

Be safe.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1 as a first car at 16? Probably not....

But it really depends on how mature you are, if you can resist the temptation of mashing the throttle all the time, then perhaps you will do just fine. If you are a speed junkie, just wait. But it seems like you have a good taste in cars already.

Myself, i had a 2000 pontiac firebird V6 auto with W68 appearance package at 17... I gotta admit, as my first car it felt like a ferrari and i guess i was pretty stupid at that age and mashed the throttle quite often... (i remember burning out in front of a dean in front of the whole school on a public road by the school bus stop lol, he ended up calling the cops.... boy was i stupid )

All i can say is be careful and respect the power
Old 06-11-2011, 02:08 AM

Death or jail
Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Launching!

If he dies.......he dies.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Lol after reading all of these comments my best bet is just taking it easy and not showing off. I rather live and have a nice car then lose the car and die. Haha
Old 06-11-2011, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I got my WS6 at 16 and if I wasn't driving it I was in my dads 95 LT1 6 speed.I'm 19 now. I learned the first day of having my license you didn't play with them. It just so happenly rained that night, I didn't crash but I found out just how easy they can get away from you. A buddy of mine who is the same age as me just bought a stock 01 A4 car and the meanest thing he'd ever been in was a S-10, went to hang a curve fast, the back kicked out, you get what happened next. He had the car maybe 2 monthes and a month of it the security system was screwed up. Even with good tires these things break easy. As long as you respect it you'll be ok. But definately don't under estimate it.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

Alrite i was moving it yesterday and i wwashed it the tires were wet i tapped the throttle and the tires started spinning like nothing
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Teching In

I drove for 6 months with an old accord before I got my trans am and I've been fine. I usually drive really slow and gun it every now and then. I like to gun it and get up to 90 when I get on the highway every now and then. 100 is pushin it, at least for my car because the steering gets sensitive and anything past 100 is a bad idea because the steering gets way too touchy for me. I got a pair of old shitty tires that I've been using for burnouts but if you do burnouts I'd say stick to donuts and low speed stuff that way even if you mess up you can't hurt your car much.
As for traction control I'd be extremely careful. My car came with eagle f1 tires (the fancy water channeling ones) and even those get pretty slippery in the rain if you accelerate especially while turning. Also, I had my shitty tires on a few weeks ago and I was on the highway going 50 at the most around a turn trying to go real slow and the rear tires hydroplaned and I messed up the body of my car pretty good. Basically, be careful, don't make retarded decisions like trying to get away with driving with bald tires in the rain because it really really really sucks a ton to crash your car if you like your car as much as I do. Don't push the limits ever!
As for mods I'd say lid, cold/ram air, muffler or cat back, cam and headers are good places to start. Good luck with the car and don't be stupid!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

drive it till you get used to its power. then youll know when and how to drive it safely when you want to open it up.

pretty soon itll feel slow and youll want more power.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Best advice to teens that aren't gonna listen to all the advice, do not accelerate around curves or in the rain hard. If you feel the need to blast through a couple gears in a straightaway do so with caution. When you feel the back tires slip out a little learn how to be a smart and LIFT YOUR FOOT. Don't try to be a showoff and keep your foot buried as the tires are losing grip or the only thing to be buried might be YOU.

Now go have some fun with your toys
Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kyles98ls1
Alrite i was moving it yesterday and i wwashed it the tires were wet i tapped the throttle and the tires started spinning like nothing
Enjoy it
Old 06-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

I will guys! Thanks for all the advice i like how many of you expierenced the same thing as me it will help me be much more safe
Old 06-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Making this reply in your thread is going to make me feel old, but I'm twice your age and have a kid almost your age, so...

No reason you have to learn the hard way what a lot of us learned when we were teenagers. Driving proficiency takes years to develop. You, like most teenaged males, probably consider yourself a better than average driver, and you may be, but you still can't hope to react as quickly as a driver who has seen it all and doesn't have to think about his response.

I'm one of those drivers and I've unintentionally gotten my car sideways twice since late April when I pulled it out of the garage.

I would estimate that I dodge a serious accident roughly once every month or so. That is an accident where serious damage or injury would have resulted if I hadn't evaded another idiot's mistake. That's a lot. Any one of those times I was messing with my phone or otherwise distracted, bam, game over.

I started off in a 5.0 mustang when I was 17 and it broke mechanically before I drove it much and I then got an old Ford EXP. It probably had 40 horsepower. That was more than enough to get into trouble.

So, yeah... I'd recommend taking it easy. Stay focused on learning to predict what other drivers will do in a given situation, and how the car responds to your inputs at lower speeds. If you want to test its capabilities, take it to the track. In a couple years, you'll be driving with a lot more confidence and should actually still have that car, unlike most of your peers.

...and congrats that's a really nice car for a 16 year old. Enjoy it.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol after reading all of these comments my best bet is just taking it easy and not showing off. I rather live and have a nice car then lose the car and die. Haha
This. It WILL happen if you don't respect the car.
When I had mine at about 19, once I got my cam only setup I NEVER kicked it under 25-30mph because of how horrible it spun on street tires, Ie it kicked sideways pretty good at 55-60mph. Showing off next to a buddy one day in town I went 3/4-wot at about 15-20mph. I had my car with the cam heads intake gears full bolt ons etc at this point for almost 2 years, tons of street races and track passes, can't count how many times I had kicked it and steered through a fish tail from 30-60mph I didnt respect the power and was being dumb and literally looked at a row of cars on the right side of the street and him next to me on my left 3 times. Until this day we still have no idea how I didn't lose it. I had zero control of the car. From that day forth I have never had an incident like that. I got a chance and was lucky... All it takes Is one time.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Average Joe
Best advice to teens that aren't gonna listen to all the advice, do not accelerate around curves or in the rain hard. If you feel the need to blast through a couple gears in a straightaway do so with caution. When you feel the back tires slip out a little learn how to be a smart and LIFT YOUR FOOT. Don't try to be a showoff and keep your foot buried as the tires are losing grip or the only thing to be buried might be YOU.

Now go have some fun with your toys
I know you were probably talking about lifting the throttle in a straight line when the wheels spin, but wasn't sure that was clear so I wanted to add something since there are new drivers present.

You take a turn a little too fast and the back end starts to slide, coming all the way off the throttle can be disastrous! Oversteering after the apex of a turn due to excessive acceleration is not an ideal situation, but it can be controlled. Lift-throttle or snap oversteer cannot be controlled and you're at the mercy of traction and momentum. If your back end gets loose coming through a turn, it may seem counterintuitive, but you just have to stay in the gas and countersteer (steer in the direction the back end is sliding) until your car's nose is pointed in the right direction and it's momentum has shifted that way. Then, you can lift, or keep going, whatever.

All of the deceleration required to make a turn should happen before you turn the wheels. Fail to do that in a car that understeers (fortunately our F-bodies don't) and you're done. Our ability to swing that back end around can be a safety net when that mistake has been made. I still don't recommend trying it on the street until you really know what you're doing.

But like Average Joe said upfront, if you're spinning in a straight line, time to come off the gas. Common road surfaces are unpredictable and you could go sideways at any time.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Very true thank you for the advice.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just remember the car is to be respected. I got my first out of 3 ls1s when I was 24. It was stock but the power gave me a big head. After killing my trans at 130mph in regular D instead of OD I got it rebuilt. After rebuild I decided to WOT from a stop on the street. Car ripped the rear right rear clean off the car and broke the drive shaft. This sent the car flying sideways into a poll. It was so bad (from a dead stop) that they called it a roll over when it wasnt. Ill remind you this was a STOCK ls1 on dry springtime roads. Respect your car dude.

Quick Reply: 16 year old + LS1 = ????