Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some guidance on how to do a few things

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default need some guidance on how to do a few things

im new to this forum, and definately new to f-bodys. fairly familiar with the LS platform due to trucks and corvettes though. im not a wizard by ANY stretch of the imagination. my primary wrenching has always been muscle cars, GM TBI trucks, and wiring.

anyway, my brother has a 2001 trans am WS6. automatic if that makes any difference.

we need to do some service work to this thing, and i have it scheduled to fill up a bay in my shop next week.

he needs an oil pan gasket, tune up, and a few other things that i cant think of right now. im trying to help him out due to him being my brother and his current life troubles, and not put much money ito these repairs.

the two biggest questions i have right now are:
1. how do i change the pan gasket on this thing? it almost looks like i have to pull the motor, but there has to be another way. ive got a 4 post drive on lift, so i can get under it really easy.
2. how do i change the rear two plugs? i cant even see the dang things. looks like id have to go in from under the dash....

so, any advice you can send my way would be greatly appreciated. hes owned this car since new, and its pretty much all he got out of the divorce. id like to help him keep it going a little longer.

and i did try google and the search, but i never could find anythiong that really showed me what i was looking for. the whole searching thing is tough for me due to all the specific nomenclature, etc that every forum has.

Michael
Old 06-11-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear passenger plug is the hardest but I can do all mine in about 30 minutes now. Remove most of the bolts that hold the coil bracket to the valve cover on that side save for the front one. That will allow you to move the bracket up and give you more room. Some people find it easier to go at the last one from underneath but I've never had a problem from up top (no lift here).

I've seen the oil pan removed while the engine stayed in the car but I don't know the steps the mechanic took (was replacing a bent rod).
Old 06-13-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to drop the K-member to drop the oil pan.... Put a small amount of RTV in the corners where the front and rear covers meet the pan gasket or there is a good chance it will leak at those spots.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

i got to all the plugs from the top. It helped that I had gearwrench socket set.
it allowed the plug to slide into the socket and extension, compacting the room need to remove the plugs.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty sure when I changed my oil pan gasket I unhooked the motor mounts and lifted the motor up a few inches with a hoist and pulled the pan out. Just be careful not to strech or pull and wires and what not. It was not to bad of a job. Be sure to put a little rtv in the corners of the pan also. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the lift the engine way better.lift the front end loosen the motor and trans mounts and the Y-pipe if you can,use a engine hoist to lift the engine enough to remove the pan.watch the ground straps,you mite have to remove some.if you do remove the engine consider a cam swap.most people get the right rear plugs from below.go to ls1howto.com for some instructions and pics.test your plug wires to see if they are good.get new plugs and clean the injectors.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

plugs:
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

Hope that helps... I didnt really read it over but i assume its got all steps for all the plugs.